Suitable 240v Pump For WVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable 240v Pump For WVO

Sorry to dredge up this old WVO chestnut but will this pump be suitable for pumping waste oil (already filtered through 25, 10 and 5 micron filter bags) through 2 x 10" bowl filters with 5 and 1 micron filters in them?

This pump.

Thanks for any advice.

[EDIT]

Okay lads, I've just seen it advertised on Ebay as suitable for the job, quite a few good feedbacks on it. Hoping to build the whole powered filtering system for under £100 including pump, filter housings, filters, tails and hoses.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 19 July 2010, 21:16.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Originally posted by Thrifty
    broken linky, but you would be best with a diaphragm pump, the best would be a ptfe diaphragm, if you used one of those you wouldnt have to worry so much about the filtering, although it would help the life of the pump and diaphragms., im fairly sure polyurethane ones would also be ok.
    this is without seeing which pump youre on about as the link didnt work
    Hmmmm, it was working before. I'll try again!

Okay, should work now.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 19 July 2010, 21:17.

Comment

personally I'd go for a peristaltic pump.
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

I'd say any pump suitable for diesel such as the many pumps available from Machine Mart. Some are even suitable for suspended solids.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I use a tam 105 to pump my new veg oil into my second tank. I have a storage box that is used as a header tank,meaning the pump is gravity fed rather than trying to prime every time.

This is a great site http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php
          www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

TAM105 is the mainstay of most veg filtering set ups. Costs around £30 and works. It is gravity fed so will need to be below the oil you are pumping. Been using mine since the start and no probs yet.

Comment

drill pump
              tiz a pump that fitts on a drill
              good for diesel
              dont get a cheap one tho when i say cheap i mean £2'50
              a good one costs about a tenner
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thrifty, those double diaphram pumps are pnuematically driven so I'd need a compressor and they're noisy buggas, we have them at work. Don't think my neighbours would appreciate one of them chuffing away mate, they're also mega bucks! Thanks for the advice though.

Bio, your info was what I'm looking for. I only intend to do small scale amounts of maybe 40 litres a week, if I'm lucky, so the Tam 105 should suffice.

Thanks again to everyone else who offered their advice.

Comment

Without getting too hung up on the how and why of it. A pump designed to pump water, won't (efficiently) pump diesel/veg.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Without getting too hung up on the how and why of it. A pump designed to pump water, won't (efficiently) pump diesel/veg.
                    true
                    it will burn out the bearings or coil

Comment

if its just a small job your doing get a fuel pump that works by hand
                      they are top tackle for the job
                      mi dads was from the local motor factor
                      it clips on the barrel pumps about 2 lirte a turn
                      then ya draw back the hadle and pump a gain
                      quiet too

Comment

The TAM105 is probably the most common 240V pump for pumping WVO. I would guess that I've pumped over 5000L through a 20, 10 & 5 micron filter setup over the last couple of years without a hitch.

Regards

TFB

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Cheers Andy, I don't intend to do vast amounts and for £46 I guess it's worth a try. I'll post again if it conks out after 100 litres!

Comment

the tam 105 is an excellant pump for wvo / bio.
                            I have used the same pump for around 3 years now - hot and cold oil - without any problems.
                            if you read any wvo / bio forum - they all use them as they are bullet proof. spares / seal easily obtainable.
                            look around ebay for a LEO water pump - same spec as the tam 105 . there is a guy in houndslow with a warehouse full of BNIB but old stock LEO's for £25 each - which are also highly acclaimed amongst the veggie forum members. I've just bought 2 for my new bio set up with eductor and squirell flash evaporator. - still under construction at moment.
                            Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Thanks for the info but as bad luck would have it my free supply of WVO has just come to an end! Just glad I found out before I bought all the gear. Still a bit of a pi$$er though.

Comment

Working...
                              X