Lockright diff now installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
    Good effort matey..putting the locker in is like having permanent 4WD in terms of extra traction you get. I find I can manage most lanes in 2WD now..so much so I've disconnected the switch that automatically selects 4WD when you shift to low range so I can stay in low-2WD

This Vid of me an Calos is a great representation of the difference they make

clicky
    My truck is much better now! lol

It was bog standard at the time of that vid though, and it was my first time off road hehe.

I know excuses excuses hehe

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
      Cheers Tony, thats a great write up, Viva Yotatec eh!
      it looks complicated did ya find it all went together ok? and lastly how much did it cost? (if you dont mind me asking)
      and cheers tonyN, i think i understand what it does now,
      The locker including shipping and import tax came to little under £240 I think. The hardest part was taking the diff apart and noting where everything came from. The hardest physical part was crawling under the Surf to lift the diff back onto the axle! A neighbor came out to talk to me whilst I was taking everything apart which was lucky as one of the half shafts kept springing back in.. I ended up drawing everything on paper and punching marks too because I couldnt talk and take mental notes

When I lifted the diff off I had to fall over with it as it was HEAVY!
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
        My truck is much better now! lol

It was bog standard at the time of that vid though, and it was my first time off road hehe.

I know excuses excuses hehe

peace
        cal
        Calos did you have to bed yours in after fitting it? I had some very strange rattles in the first mile. Almost drove back home to strip it down. But after some turns and things it hasnt done it since. I'm guessing lack of oil. Someone on a US site said his was playing up at first but lockright said to let it be for a short while and his sorted itself out.

You should have seen the back of ASDAs car park after I bedded it in :p
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thats what i do when stripping something complicated, little drawings, labels, marks etc, better than ending up with leftover bits
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            Thats what i do when stripping something complicated, little drawings, labels, marks etc, better than ending up with leftover bits
            I even went as far as putting the exact bolts back into the exact holes. If I all of a sudden come screetching to a halt sometime in the future then I'll let you know. It would have been nice to paint everything whilst it was out. Some engine builders hammerite the inside of engine blocks so that sprayed oil runs off quicker - I wonder if the same applies to diff casings
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I had the chance to try out the new diff at Avalanche this weekend. To put it simply, I could do 80-90% of the course is just plain RWD. Where some people were losing traction in 4WD and needed a bit of a run up, I could just crawl up or down in RWD.
              There was one place I couldnt get up but I think if I had had a bit more speed i.e. run up I could have made it. But both rear wheels span and one wheel lost grip at the front.

The only bad thing about the diff locking is that occasionally the rear would slip outwards which ended with me facing some other direction but travelling in another A lot of fun though - some videos to follow. Oh and you'll see Stormforce do an Endo in his 3rd gen
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
              X