Broke something but don't know what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke something but don't know what

Hello, i went laning last night on some pretty challenging lanes and had a ###### good laugh. After struggling to get back up a steep lane that we had also driven down, i noticed a kind of clanking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel area. After putting it back into 2WD and unlocking the manual hubs, the clanking turned into a kind of metallic rattle, like the sound of a loose washer or something. It only rattles when going over bumpy ground and the truck seems fine otherwise. There's no noise when turning.
    The other blokes there said it was probably broken CV or shaft. I'm wondering how i go about checking to see what's broken?

When i get underneath i can turn the front prop freely for a few revolutions, but then it goes very tight for a couple of turns and then goes loose again. does this give any clues?

Last time TonyN worked on my truck he noticed that when the front wheels were off and the truck supported, the hubs didn't turn freely due to the 2" BJ spacers with no diff drop (too much angle on CV's). He said not to give it too much beans when in 4WD with a front wheel up in the air, as something might break. Which i imagine is what happened.

Does it sound like a half shaft has gone or a CV? Anyone know how's best for me to find out?

Cheers.

My god we're not allowed to say bl00dy...

Comment

iam not got a clue with cars so mi post may be full of tosh
      it seems like
      and this happend to me
      you may have bugged a cv joint up but the rattle could be ya bottom arm bush or your broze bush just a guess tho
      it turned out i had done both to mine
      to arm clatters the bronze bush grinds and shudders sounds like a hammer drill

lift ya wheel off the floor see if its come lose
      rock it from side to side top and bottom
      if its got a wobble its something in there
      if its still tight it may be ya bush on ya bottom arm
      arb can rattle too
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Collapsed CV joint or bronze bushes? CV joint would be my 1st guess.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

could be your front anti roll bar bushes or the pin that goes through the bottom wishbone onto the top of the arb has snapped.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks for the replies, but a broken ARB part wouldn't explain the prop shaft turning issues. Unless it was like that before. Which i'm not sure of. Can't be normal though? There's no visible damage on the outside.

Comment

If you need a Driveshaft, I've got one left. £30 delivered.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                If you need a Driveshaft, I've got one left. £30 delivered.
                and what if its the right?
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                  and what if its the right?
                  It will be.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    It will be.

Nev

With your hubs unlocked spin the drive shaft and see if its smooth or locks, also hold the CV ends and twist the shaft to feel for play.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

A touch of the Oscar Wilde there from Nev

anyway were the CV's knackered after we had probs doing the lift? did you replace em?, (both ends, both sides), if the "extream" laneing has buggered the new one it sounds like your gonna have to sort thet exhaust and fit the drop kit, to me the angle of the drive shafts are too acute for any serious off roading, as i done do much i've got away with it, only time i locked the hubs was in the snow,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        , to me the angle of the drive shafts are too acute for any serious off roading, as i done do much i've got away with it, only time i locked the hubs was in the snow,
                        Yeah, thats what I said when it was here, with the front jacked up and the wheels hanging, the CVs locked on themselves. When it was on the floor with the weight of the truck on the suspension they where OK.

Thats why I told him to go easy if offroading it in case the front gets air while on the throttle........

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Yeah, thats what I said when it was here, with the front jacked up and the wheels hanging, the CVs locked on themselves. When it was on the floor with the weight of the truck on the suspension they where OK.

Thats why I told him to go easy if offroading it in case the front gets air while on the throttle........

Yeah, the going easy bit didn't work out... Had to be done cos i was stuck.

So it's either a shaft or CV? I'll check for play and locks tomorrow.

Ian, Tony said at the time that the CV's seemed ok, so i didn't worry too much about that.

I need to do something about lowering the exhaust a couple of inches so that when i fit the diff drop bits the rear prop won't hit it. But apart from making a big dent in the top part of the exhaust i don't see what i can do?
                          From looking at the service record, i saw it's had a new middle exhaust section, but that part's not the middle section is it? Or is it? Just thinking that the problem could have been that the vertical drop part of the exhaust could be shorter than a standard one. Any other ideas other than removing the heat shield and denting the top part or the exhaust to accomodate the propshaft? And to others that have a 2" diff drop, was the front ARB in the way?

Tony, i still need to sort you out for those wheel nuts. If you text me your paypal details on 07881658030 i'll get that done.

Cheers for the replies...

Comment

When I fit 4" suspension lifts, I cut, sleeve and reweld (you can use a bit of pipe and u-bolts too, car shops sell 'repair sections' ) the down pipe, the rest will twist enough on the rubbers, or you can cut and reweld in front of the flexi section if its to much.

Comment

Hmmm, i think it may well be coming over to you to fix this broken CV or shaft issue sometime in the near future Tony if you can fit it in? If so, i might employ your cut, sleeve and re weld services as well... Any idea how you'll be fixed at the end of the month?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X