Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie :)

Hi Guys
    Im new here but have had a few surfs before,love 'em to bits!
    Ive just bought a 2 door '91 plate 2.4 with a body lift,a nice set of alloys and 285 BFG All Terrains.
    Before buying it I had read all the horror stories about the heads going pop on the 2.4's and guess what?....When I test drove the truck and pulled up on the drive (after driving about 15 miles in traffic with the temp needle sitting half way) the temp needle crept up towards the red,but a little blip on the throttle and a rise in revs and back down it went and didnt move again.
    On closer inspection the radiator looks goosed,it looks like I could poke my finger through the top of it due to corrosion!,it doesnt use any water and there are no gunky grey bits under the filler cap or dipstick,ive driven it for 2 weeks now with no probs but every now and again the temp rises slightly and then drops back.
    Could it be that the rad is blocked with crap?...I would have thought if it was the head that revving it would just make it worse...and it would lose water?
    I would just flush the rad but its in such bad nick im going to wait and see the feedback from here and if it looks like its the rad I will replace it.
    Being the deviant that I am I persuaded the young lady that the head was cooked and paid less than half the asking price for the car
    So come on folks....share the knowledge!

Keith

Hi, welcome and replace it.
    If the rad has been left to get in that state then chances are that there are other bits that need doing as well, do a coolant flush and give the whole thing a good check over paying close attention to the whole cooling system.
    Neal

Comment

Oh yeah, we need pics too .
      Neal

Comment

Originally posted by killer View Post
        Being the deviant that I am I persuaded the young lady that the head was cooked and paid less than half the asking price for the car
        So come on folks....share the knowledge!

Keith
        I hope the head is knackered, or you've just shafted someone.

Chances are it is though, so you might get away with it.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just keep driving it as is. All will be ok.

Nev

Comment

Ello and welcome

peace
            cal
            Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I have a decent 2.4 rad here if your interested £85 delivered
              Hi and welcome by the way
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

welcome dude
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Nuthouse!
                  I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Thanks guys....and check out stormforce getting straight in there!! lol
                    I might just drive it for a bit longer and keep and eye on it but my gut feeling is to change the rad.
                    I love driving it,they are great...b0**0cks to Land Rover from now on!!! lol
                    Will get some pics put on soon guys.
                    Pleasure to be here!

Keith

Comment

Thanks guys....and check out stormforce getting straight in there!! lol
                      I might just drive it for a bit longer and keep and eye on it but my gut feeling is to change the rad.
                      I love driving it,they are great...b0**0cks to Land Rover from now on!!! lol
                      Will get some pics put on soon guys.
                      Pleasure to be here!

Keith
                      when your in the online spare business it pays to get in quick in order to get the sale.Also at least you know i'm selling parts now aswell
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Sounds to me like there is air in the system and some poor lady was taken advantage of
                        What goes around comes around though ey so things are looking up
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Now it has to be said that it must be remembered that the lady in question had swore blind to me that the truck didnt over heat..........but suddenly remembered when i turned up to look at it after taking the train to Birmingham......Anyone would think id ripped off an 90 year old pensioner to hear you all!!

She was at least 75 years old!!

Comment

Now it has to be said that it must be remembered that the lady in question had swore blind to me that the truck didnt over heat..........but suddenly remembered when i turned up to look at it after taking the train to Birmingham......Anyone would think id ripped off an 90 year old pensioner to hear you all!!

She was at least 75 years old!!
                            sellers are very often liars, when i bought mine the seller said it does use a little water, about a 500ml per 500 km's, lieing git i got 5 miles up the road and it emptyed its rad contents on to the black top. i ended up paying out over 800 quid on a replacement head, then within a couple of hundred miles the bottom end had gone. so now its back to a land rover and the surf is getting broken

by the way welcome to the mad house and ignore the insults
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                            X