Windscreens issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreens issues

Since I will not be having the same insurer this year, I need to get my issue of poor windscreen fitment from last year sorted before the insurance expires.

Basically, I had a crack (in Feb 09). They replaced the front screen, no hassle but it didnt fit or wasnt glued in properly. When I drove along at 40mph it sounded like I was battling down the motorway at 140 with the sound of wind gushing through. It also leaked when it rained. I contacted the insurance company (Adrian Flux) who appointed a second windscreen company to come and repair it - it was marginally better.

Since it wasn't fixed the original company came and took my car to their garage after promising to compensate me for the Diesel they used (but didnt!) this was in March 09. The new windscreen is pretty much spot on. However it still leaks under torrential rain and runs to the carpet. Also when you look closely, there is gap between the screen and car on the passenger side that has been filled with clear mastic.

I need to get this rectified ASAP. I didn't notice the gap until my friend pointed this out recently. And the leak is only recent too.

I wonder if They have been fitting the wrong screens into the Surf? Is a UK Toyota Hilux of the same year the same screen as a Toyota Surf?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

in japan they look out off the front window with quite a different eye
    in the uk we have a bigger eye
    so you should have noticed that hole your self ya lazy boy
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

this is the part number for the screen and the different models
      56111 GLASS, WINDSHIELD
      56111-89148 VZN130; KZN130, LN108, 109, 112, 130..SSRX; *TL, T=5.3, BRONZE
      Last edited by stormforce; 7 July 2010, 15:31.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I had windscreen fitting problems with my last car (a Rover 420).

The windscreen frame had corroded, bubbled and the pressure had caused the screen to crack. When Autoglass tried to replace the screen it wouldn't fit properly and the car had to be sent to a body repair garage to have the windscreen frame repaired so that the screen actually WOULD fit.

Thankfully, I didn't have the problems that you encountered but it was a pain at the time when I needed the car to get to work & back!

Comment

Before my Surf got sent of to SA I had my w/screen replaced by Auto Glass They replaced it with a non Toyota screen and I can't fault it.
          It took them 3 attempts to get the correct screen with the bronze tint, but got there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanie View Post
            Before my Surf got sent of to SA I had my w/screen replaced by Auto Glass They replaced it with a non Toyota screen and I can't fault it.
            It took them 3 attempts to get the correct screen with the bronze tint, but got there in the end.
            I'm in the same boat. Already had two so may be 3rd time lucky!
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              56111 GLASS, WINDSHIELD
              Thanks. I'll take this info with me tomorrow when I go down and they take a look. He told me that once he has seen it, they might be able to do something as a good will gesture!
              I've told the insurance company and they dont really want to know. Since I'm fully comp and another windscreen claim wont effect me and no one wants to know then worst case I'll have to have another one put in. I do not want to go this route. I want the company who fitted it wrongly to re-fit or replace the screen at no cost as this is their fault. Obviously I have to show them this tomorrow. It shouldnt be difficult. Obviously I cannot prove it leaks. Even with a bucket of water I dont think I would be able to see or feel a wet carpet.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

56111 GLASS, WINDSHIELD
                Rich is this just for the Hilux Surf? Where did you get this info? Are the part numbers for the Toyota Hilux and 4Runner different?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                  I'm in the same boat. Already had two so may be 3rd time lucky!
                  Do a W/screen search here, some one has posted the p/n for the different surf screens with the tint.
                  I also gave Auto Glass the p/n. to steer them in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks. I'll take this info with me tomorrow when I go down and they take a look. He told me that once he has seen it, they might be able to do something as a good will gesture!
                    I've told the insurance company and they dont really want to know. Since I'm fully comp and another windscreen claim wont effect me and no one wants to know then worst case I'll have to have another one put in. I do not want to go this route. I want the company who fitted it wrongly to re-fit or replace the screen at no cost as this is their fault. Obviously I have to show them this tomorrow. It shouldnt be difficult. Obviously I cannot prove it leaks. Even with a bucket of water I dont think I would be able to see or feel a wet carpet.
                    Presumably you'd have to cough up the excess again on a new claim though? I know it cost me £250 (or was it £300?!) when I got mine done.

Comment

Rich is this just for the Hilux Surf? Where did you get this info? Are the part numbers for the Toyota Hilux and 4Runner different?
                      This is from the toyodiy site Tony
                      56111 GLASS, WINDSHIELD
                      56111-89147 LN107, 108, 130, YN107, 130..SSR..(DSL, EFI, TD, TDE); *TL, T=5.3, BLUE 1 $288.16
                      56111-89148 KZN130, LN107, 130, YN107..SSR..(DSL, EFI, TDE); *TL, T=5.3, BRONZE, SSR-Xパツケ-ジ
                      This info was taken from the ln107 hilux section whereas the 1st post i put was the kzn130 but it still gives the other vehicles that the screen will fit
                      Last edited by stormforce; 7 July 2010, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        Presumably you'd have to cough up the excess again on a new claim though? I know it cost me £250 (or was it £300?!) when I got mine done.
                        Was zero.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Tony the post i have just put up the 2 different part numbers are purely for the screen colour.One is blue and the other bronze

Comment

Tony the post i have just put up the 2 different part numbers are purely for the screen colour.One is blue and the other bronze
                            Again Rich you are a star!
                            So looking at that, providing the screen starts 56111 then that should be the right screen?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I took the truck down to them Saturday morning. They may have had a change around internally because the bloke that spoke to me was very friendly and helpful (unless it was a front! ha)

Anyhow, he explained a little mastic is normal such as my screen. He reckoned he knew exactly where the leak was by some mastic protruding on the top drivers corner. Someone did whatever they had to do (filled it with mastic by the sounds of it) and now there is no wind noise at all from the windscreen even when doing 100 - so I'm pleased about that.

Just have to wait for the rain now!
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X