Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exported to Cape Town

Hi Guys
    I've not been a member here for long, but have kept an eye on this forum for a couple of years.
    As stated above we have immigrated back to Cape Town a couple of days ago.
    My wife wanted me to sell my trusty Surf, but I could not bring myself to doing that so we decided to take it with us. After months of preparations and paperwork and some money I managed to get all the relevant import documentation to take my Surf over.
    I packed up our whole house and got everything ready for shipping, I gave the Surf its last UK wash and polish on Sunday the 27th of June and delivered her to the shipping company on Tuesday the 29th and watched her being loaded into the container with my household goods.
    Well we have now flown out and now I'm just waiting for her to arrive it should arrive at the end of July and should be customs cleared and inspected by mid August so God willing we will have a Surf in South Africa I have only seen one Surf so far, They have the same platform as some of the South African models, but none in that body style apart from Land Cruisers.

As precaution I took over a couple of spares like F Callipers, F discs & pads, Rear drums & shoes, Cam belt kit with all tensioners, rear 20% stiffer coil springs, Front tie rod end kits, Front upper and lower ball joints, Genuine oil and fuel filters, Front anti roll bar poly bush kits, I've fitted a new exhaust throughout.
    Not sure if I have missed any thing, but we should get a couple of years trouble free driving. The KZN130 is a popular engine in South Africa so parts for it should not be a problem.
    I will continue being a member on this forum as there is invaluable information here.

Any way I just wanted to share some news of some one sad enough (ie ME) to love a vehicle so much he would pay double what the vehicle is worth to ship it to another country.

Swanie

here's a link to a SA site I think, plenty info on there too, possibly be able to source parts and tips from owners in SA

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/

hAZZO

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
      here's a link to a SA site I think, plenty info on there too, possibly be able to source parts and tips from owners in SA

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/

hAZZO

Thanks
      I start browsing there as well.

Swanie

Comment

Hope you have a better experience than the parents of a friend of mine that used to live between SA and the UK. They had an absolute nightmare getting through SA customs without paying bribes to the appropriate officials (they refused to do so on principal - probably would've been easier if they had been a bit more accomodating!)

I think they organised the vehicle transfer (can't remember what the car was - some classic old British car from what I remember) via Pickfords who were absolutely ace.

Good luck on the move!

Comment

Took my 4Runner out to Africa a few years ago. RoRo via Durbs. Wasn't too bad but you may find both batteries flat so take one with you when you go to collect. (When it arrived our shipping agent tried jumping it via the accessories battery - I had a split charge system installed).

Anyway, currently the vehicle parked up at home in Bulawayo so if you find any 1KZ-T engines during your travels - give me a shout!

BTW: a couple of people have asked me about the paperwork for returning rez re: importing a foriegn reg'd vehicle, so if you could post a description here I'd appreciate it.
          @africa4x4cafe
          [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            Hope you have a better experience than the parents of a friend of mine that used to live between SA and the UK. They had an absolute nightmare getting through SA customs without paying bribes to the appropriate officials (they refused to do so on principal - probably would've been easier if they had been a bit more accomodating!)

I think they organised the vehicle transfer (can't remember what the car was - some classic old British car from what I remember) via Pickfords who were absolutely ace.

Good luck on the move!
            Thanks
            I've used a company in the UK called Anglo Pacific and they are one of the UK's leading International movers, They use a company in Cape Town called Biddulphs. The price I paid includes these companies doing all the customs clearance for me.
            I am aware of some horror stories, but thought that if I used some of the best in the business to do my shipping I'll avoid my own horror. Using known companies came at a premium I paid £3300 to ship my Surf including my house hold goods, That includes all the customs side of things

Swanie

Comment

So are you a returning rez? Did the vehicle come in duty free? And are they still insisting that you've owned the vehicle for two years?
              @africa4x4cafe
              [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                Took my 4Runner out to Africa a few years ago. RoRo via Durbs. Wasn't too bad but you may find both batteries flat so take one with you when you go to collect. (When it arrived our shipping agent tried jumping it via the accessories battery - I had a split charge system installed).

Anyway, currently the vehicle parked up at home in Bulawayo so if you find any 1KZ-T engines during your travels - give me a shout!

BTW: a couple of people have asked me about the paperwork for returning rez re: importing a foriegn reg'd vehicle, so if you could post a description here I'd appreciate it.
                Hi
                A good shipping company will be able to point you in the right direction, but here we go.
                Firstly for returning residents you must be able to proof that you left South Africa with no intention returning ( I came over to the UK in 1998 on a holiday visa and got married, been living in the UK for nearly 12 years.

I have also gone through the proses of Naturalisation and now have duel Nationality (and yes it is legal) (had no intention of returning to SA)
                Secondly when you arrive in South Africa you must proof that you left the other country with no intention of returning.

I was self employed and went through the proper channels of closing down my business I did my self assessment and got a letter from Inland Revenue saying that they do not have any further interest in my business, also stating that I have been removed from the British Tax system.
                (Very important as a self assessment in it own is not good enough).

This is so you don't have to pay import duty on the vehicle
                ( Also to qualify for this you must be able to proof that you have owned the vehicle for more than 12 mths and you will sign an affidavit that you will keep the vehicle for a minimum of 2 years.) If any of these are broken you will pay a 43% duty + 14% Vat on the value of the vehicle.

Thirdly you have to apply for a Import permit from ITAC (International trade Administration Commission of South Africa) Forms available of their website.

Fourthly you have to apply for a Letter of Authority from NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) Forms available of their website.( This will cost you approx £150 and you have to have a address in South Africa for them to send it to they do not post abroad.

The shipping company will refuse to load the vehicle without any of the above.

Hope this was helpful
                The two websites are ITAC and NRCS I don't have any of the information to hand, but if you google them you will get the websites.

About the 1KZ-T engine any Bakkie scrapie will have these motors as they were fitted to the Toyota hilux Raider 4x4

Swanie

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                  So are you a returning rez? Did the vehicle come in duty free? And are they still insisting that you've owned the vehicle for two years?
                  What they state now is that you have to have owned the vehicle for min 12mths and keep it for min 2 years.
                  This has al to do to qualify for not having to pay any duty.
                  The reply above should give you a slightly better idea.

Swanie

Comment

i know a cheap place for replacment wallets
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

[QUOTE=JUDWAK;645736]i know a cheap place for replacment wallets

Which one is that

Comment

[QUOTE=Swanie;645744]
                        Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                        i know a cheap place for replacment wallets

Which one is that
                        jollie pirates bankrupt stores (real name too i think)
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                        X