Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing a trailer - the law

Yo all
    Just oing a bit of research and found this handbook about the law around what trailers you can tow based on your standard driving license. In case its of use to anyone

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF30.ashx

Blimey...what a minefield. I have cat D and cat D+E. I can (I think), get out of bed on tbd morning and be licenced for it.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

i can drive anything except tracked vehicles.

thanks to the Army for supplying me license.
      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        Blimey...what a minefield. I have cat D and cat D+E. I can (I think), get out of bed on tbd morning and be licenced for it.
        I passed after 1997 so I can drive cars, quads and tow a trailer up to 750kg and feck all else!!!

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
          i can drive anything except tracked vehicles.

thanks to the Army for supplying me license.
          I can drive tracked vehicles though...these rules and regs are MUCH too complex.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            I can drive kacked vehicles though...these rules and regs are poo complex.

Comment

Always good to get confirmation that what I thought was the case is actually true. Thanks for posting.

Absolutely no mention of either motorcycles pulling trailers or the rather interesting combination I've seen plodding around locally - an electric invalid carriage/buggy/scooter towing a trailer...

Best I can find quickly for motorbikes:

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/trailer_law.htm

Found some nice funky looking single wheel motorcycle trailers while I was looking for that!

(EDIT: I love how they give the leaflet the "crystal mark" for being easy to understand! The leaflet might well be easy to understand but why they thought the way they implemented everything is a good idea is anybody's guess!)
              Last edited by Rustinho; 5 July 2010, 14:41.

Comment

If you look on your V5 document, you will notice quite a few fields left blank notably the one regarding the maximum weight of the vehicle. This puts the Surf into a grey area therefore you could legally tow a unit with a width up to 8'. Normally the towing vehicle has to be over 3501kg to tow a unit this wide.

Comment

Working...
                X