bigger exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger exhaust

right i've heard on here about using 3" tube and make a free flowing exhaust will help acceleration and mpg the question is basically would any performance silencer do the trick or will i have to try and fabricate one i did get a powerflow exhaust built for my old st24 and it wasn't bad tbh now the fitting centre is still in business but im skint and don't relish the price so i'm thinking of building my own firstly i need a cheap steel supplier and a cheap exhaust box and i can do the rest so any info would be appreciated
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

I'll sell you mine. I have the rest of it also but something is loose in the centre box.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

thread hijacker here.

i need to sort my zorst out. i want to have it straight from the turbo, down, bend and run along the chassis rail and exit just in front of the rear tyre.

i dont want it to cross under the g/box like the std one and dont want any boxes in it.
      any ideas please.

BTW noise not a prob, as this is common on things landy to debox and side exit..
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
        thread hijacker here.

i need to sort my zorst out. i want to have it straight from the turbo, down, bend and run along the chassis rail and exit just in front of the rear tyre.

i dont want it to cross under the g/box like the std one and dont want any boxes in it.
        any ideas please.

BTW noise not a prob, as this is common on things landy to debox and side exit..
        Buy some stainless 2 1/2" pipe and a tube bender the turbo will take most of the noise away.
        monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
          I'll sell you mine. I have the rest of it also but something is loose in the centre box.
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
          cheers how bads the rattle? also what is it stainless or mild steel it doesn't matter because i'll cut the box open sort the rattle then alls good what diameter
          is it as i would prefer the 3" is the postage negotiable to members or fixed? (well ya gotta be cheeky) lol

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
            cheers how bads the rattle? also what is it stainless or mild steel it doesn't matter because i'll cut the box open sort the rattle then alls good what diameter
            is it as i would prefer the 3" is the postage negotiable to members or fixed? (well ya gotta be cheeky) lol
            Its 55mm od the rattle is not too bad and its all stainless. But the joint just before the flex was broken so will need sorting. Post negotiable.
            monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

is it a single box system with straight through box? i know i'm asking a lot but where was the original exhaust cut and the fabricated one joined? was it before the middle box or after as i want to do away with the factory box as its too restrictive

Comment

Given that 2.4s cant pull the skin off a rice pudding, are you really expecting noticeable performance / economy gains by throwing out a few baffles from an exhaust? I think you're gonna be disappointed.

However, if you're doing it for the sake of messing with welders and cutting disks (and dont we all?) thats another matter!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Just looked up my old post in "mods" but all the pics have dissapeared when i deleated a load off photobucket so not much use, i sort out some pic if ya want, i did mine myself, aint no welder and only had an old SIP arc unit, but got it all together ok, 3" s/s tube form metals direct and "Webbo" on here supplyed the bends, flexy and straight through muffler from pipewerx, it does help runningwise but its a 2.4 and unless ya strip it down to the chassi its never gonna be fast, does me tho! it does give you a nice exhaust tone tho, sounds good with the windows open
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                    is it a single box system with straight through box? i know i'm asking a lot but where was the original exhaust cut and the fabricated one joined? was it before the middle box or after as i want to do away with the factory box as its too restrictive
                    It is a single box system, and was joined just after the flex, but the joint has broken at the join under the passenger footwell, so you would need to cut it just before the flex and join there.
                    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

The exhaust modification does make a huge difference to the performance on the 2.4! Also running temps are lower, it has to be worth doing for this alone surely? The stock system on the 2.4 is much more restrictive than the 3.0!

If I was to do only one thing to a 2.4 this would be it for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                        thread hijacker here.

any ideas please.

Let me know how you get on with this. I asked my friend at Longlife and he moaned about coming off the turbo. Will probably cost me £200 - £300 just for the turbo elbow. Then another 2 or 300 for the rest of the exhaust.

You can buy stainless turbo pipes from Australia that are jigged for our Surfs. Expensive though.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Given that 2.4s cant pull the skin off a rice pudding, are you really expecting noticeable performance / economy gains by throwing out a few baffles from an exhaust? I think you're gonna be disappointed.

However, if you're doing it for the sake of messing with welders and cutting disks (and dont we all?) thats another matter!
                          There will be a mild improvement, fuel economy will increase too. But it wont turn the 2.4 into a rocket of any kind.
                          Plus, if the exhaust needs changing anyway, I think stainless free flowing is the way to go
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I got a price from longlife in leeds the other day £359 for the full system from the turbo or £159 for the backbox from the flexi pipe backwards with the tailpipe exiting through the rear quarter bumper, the price included fitting, leave it with them and they offered a free courtsey car.
                            My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                              There will be a mild improvement, fuel economy will increase too. But it wont turn the 2.4 into a rocket of any kind.
                              Plus, if the exhaust needs changing anyway, I think stainless free flowing is the way to go
                              I forgot about the fuel economy! Still sh!t but I do get 80 km from 10 litres instead of around 65 km.

Inter cooler, fueling increased, 3 inch pipe from turbo down to 2 1/2 side exit power-flow system (picked up from eBay for £26) makes a Huge difference to the performance! No not a rocket but very usable

Thinking about it I have no idea what difference a larger bore exhaust would make without the other mods but the standard system is a joke!

A little time and a wee weld here and there £60 all in for my exhaust...

Comment

Working...
                              X