X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But auto boxes are plentiful from the breakers as they hardly ever go wrong

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      But auto boxes are plentiful from the breakers as they hardly ever go wrong
      I bet electrical problems on an auto gearbox can be enough to make a parson swear though...

Comment

actually, you can fault code electrical issues, done the odd solonoid, but thats all I've ever changed.

as been said, £100 gets you a good used one, and toss it on, less moving parts on a Auto, no clutch to get clogged with silt, no stalling when bogged down, very strong, I love the Autoboxes on Surfs.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

well am definitely thinking an auto is the way forward then. would love a 3.0 but out of my price budget nufortunately. so think may have to go for the 2.4 instead.

Comment

you will be suprised on prices for the 2.4 and 3.0l. Sometimes the 2.4's have gone for a lot more than the 3.0l on ebay so don't rule out the 3.0l yet.
            I never drove an auto till 6 years ago when i bought my first surf and i wouldn't have anything else now.
            I have 2 x 2.4's in the pipeline over the next couple of weeks if your interested but i need to get to look them over yet
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by batesy16 View Post
              well am definitely thinking an auto is the way forward then. would love a 3.0 but out of my price budget nufortunately. so think may have to go for the 2.4 instead.
              i used to be apprehensive about autos, but now i have one, im loving it.

such a more relaxed drive, and also you driving itself becomes more relaxed i find when in an auto.

sometimes i feel like putting the seat into recline when driving the surf.
              My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                you will be suprised on prices for the 2.4 and 3.0l. Sometimes the 2.4's have gone for a lot more than the 3.0l on ebay so don't rule out the 3.0l yet.
                I never drove an auto till 6 years ago when i bought my first surf and i wouldn't have anything else now.
                I have 2 x 2.4's in the pipeline over the next couple of weeks if your interested but i need to get to look them over yet
                yeah think auto is definitely what i want after what people have said, and would really prefer the 3.0 but i need one in the next few weeks, as my car is currently up for sale.

Comment

I have a 2.4 auto and would prefer a manual box purely because thats what Im used to. Ive driven a 3 litre surf and apart from a wee bit more grunt pulling off and on hills, there isnt really much difference, I opted for the 2.4 for the cheaper tax and they were a bit cheaper than the 3 liters I saw for sale at the time. Ive done 12,000 miles and apart from a weeny oil leak Ive had no probs with it. It just flew through its MOT no advisories and Im going to get a newer one at some point with a prettier dash.
                  Last edited by tristanjay; 2 July 2010, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by tristanjay View Post
                    I have a 2.4 auto and would prefer a manual box purely because thats what Im used to. Ive driven a 3 litre surf and apart from a wee bit more grunt pulling off and on hills, there isnt really much difference, I opted for the 2.4 for the cheaper tax and they were a bit cheaper than the 3 liters I saw for sale at the time. Ive done 12,000 miles and apart from a weeny oil leak Ive had no probs with it. It just flew through its MOT no advisories and Im going to get a newer one at some point with a prettier dash.
                    Road tax should be the same on a 3.0 or a 2.4 (depending on the age of the vehicle of course!) unless you mean some other form of tax?!

The other advantage of a manual over an auto is if you need to bump start it cos you can't bump start an auto...

Comment

I'm guessing a lot of the 2.4s still running have the newer head by now. Worth checking if the head has been changed if you're looking at a 2.4.

Before anyone says "any head can fail", yes, I know. However, the original 2.4 heads have a design flaw, the 3.0 heads dont.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        you can't bump start an auto...
                        You can, but you need to be able to run REALLY fast!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by tristanjay View Post
                          Road tax should be the same on a 3.0 or a 2.4 (depending on the age of the vehicle of course!) unless you mean some other form of tax?!

The other advantage of a manual over an auto is if you need to bump start it cos you can't bump start an auto...
                          I was under the impression that it was cheaper, boh! Just get one, it dont matter which as long as its in good nick for its age youll love it.

Comment

You ever tried bump starting a 2 ton diesel surf with decent compression? It ain't easy! Two decent batteries much better option!!
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

im pretty sure it depends on the age of the car though doesnt it??
                              My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
                                im pretty sure it depends on the age of the car though doesnt it??
                                I've been led to believe that that is but one amongst a plethora of criteria...

Comment

Working...
                                X