2.4 or 3.0 - manual or automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3.0 - manual or automatic

Ok have scrapped the idea of the vehickle which needed a new head so starting from scratch again.

now bearing in mind that the car is not gonna be used for any sort of pulling work, and probably wont be used for off roading.

what would people recommend as being the best variant to buy, as there seem to be a lot more 2.4 out there for sale at a good price. are they way down on power cmpared to the 3.0 or is it only really the torque where the difference is going to be noticed.

any views and opinions welcome.

Originally posted by batesy16 View Post
    Ok have scrapped the idea of the vehickle which needed a new head so starting from scratch again.

now bearing in mind that the car is not gonna be used for any sort of pulling work, and probably wont be used for off roading.

what would people recommend as being the best variant to buy, as there seem to be a lot more 2.4 out there for sale at a good price. are they way down on power cmpared to the 3.0 or is it only really the torque where the difference is going to be noticed.

any views and opinions welcome.
    If I were to have my time again I would probably hold out for a 3.0. Economy is about the same from what I hear but it'd be worth having a wee bit more power.

Auto or manual is purely down to your own personal preference really. Before I got my Surf I would've preferred a manual but I'm really happy with an auto now I've got one and I'd probably prefer an auto for most vehicles these days (if I was getting something a bit more sporty I'd stick with a manual but autos make for such a lazy drive, particularly in heavy traffic, that I'd probably be happier with an auto).

In fact, I'm half looking out for a decent, modded 3.0 2nd gen that I could maybe buy and then sell on my 2.4 to save me the hassle of doing the mods I fancy to it! (Body lift & sus lift mainly but anything else would be a bonus!)

Comment

if your not pulling anything, then just go for a 2.4.

unless you find a cheap 3.0l, but doesnt make any difference since you are just having it as a run around.
      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Out of interest... Why would someone want a manual? where does it have an advantage over an auto? (apart from left calf muscle cardio)

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
          Out of interest... Why would someone want a manual? where does it have an advantage over an auto? (apart from left calf muscle cardio)

always used to driving a manual, as never had a automatic before, so just wondered if there was any6 advantage other than the lack of leg use.

Comment

always used to driving a manual, as never had a automatic before, so just wondered if there was any6 advantage other than the lack of leg use.

tiz lazy ya have a leg and hand free (if needed)
            comes in handy depends what ya do in ya car
            more room
            better in traffic less hassel to stop and start

off road all day and never get clutch foot

draw backs ya forget sometimes and go for the clutch
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
              tiz lazy ya have a leg and hand free (if needed)
              comes in handy depends what ya do in ya car
              more room
              better in traffic less hassel to stop and start

off road all day and never get clutch foot

draw backs ya forget sometimes and go for the clutch
              all of a sudden having the automatic doesnt sound like such a bad option lol.

Comment

Hold out for a 3.0 litre. and deffo an auto. You can use the spare leg as a dashboard decoration.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

all of a sudden having the automatic doesnt sound like such a bad option lol.
                  i hated the sound they make
                  i aways said i would never have an automatic

now i see it has
                  in a small fast sports car i would rather have the gears to play with lots more funn
                  but in a 4x4 thats not ever going to be a rocket
                  auto box is far better just out of being lazy for me
                  less worry tiz very carlming to drive

i would never get rid of mine now
                  its parked up but still i will not part with it
                  even tho there are lots of surfs about i love this one
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

well i think i know what i might be doing this weekend then. have found one for sale which i will go look at so fingers crossed it not gone by time i go to view it.

think the automatic has now been sold to me, and think will go for the 2.4 assuming a bit better on fuel.

now to start thinking about what mods to do to it lol. nothing like a bit of forward thinking is there lol.

Comment

well i think i know what i might be doing this weekend then. have found one for sale which i will go look at so fingers crossed it not gone by time i go to view it.

think the automatic has now been sold to me, and think will go for the 2.4 assuming a bit better on fuel.

now to start thinking about what mods to do to it lol. nothing like a bit of forward thinking is there lol.

some good mods are...

furry dice
                      cooker switch/fog light switch conversion
                      two right handed monster hands coming from under the bonnet
                      an all bright green chasis
                      more lights than than you could buy from B&Q
                      a nodding dog on the dash

and if your feeling particularly frisky.... playboy stickers all over the sides and bonnet!

only kidding!
                      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
                        some good mods are...

furry dice
                        cooker switch/fog light switch conversion
                        two right handed monster hands coming from under the bonnet
                        an all bright green chasis
                        more lights than than you could buy from B&Q
                        a nodding dog on the dash

and if your feeling particularly frisky.... playboy stickers all over the sides and bonnet!

only kidding!
                        how the hell did you know what i was gonna do to it, it as if your in my mind lol was thinking of goiong for neon lights as well.

Comment

Nope, get a 3.0, noticably better on diesel, at worst the same but with loads more power, unless you never press the go pedal at all!
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            Nope, get a 3.0, noticably better on diesel, at worst the same but with loads more power, unless you never press the go pedal at all!
                            only issue is trying to find a 3.0 at the price i can afford as the 2.4 appear to be a bit cheaper. and need the car fairly urgently as getting rid of my focus st at the same time.

Comment

You can get slightly better fuel consumption out of a manual.
                              Depending on what goes wrong an auto can be a bit of a nightmare. A mate of mine had unending problems with the auto gearbox on a Renault Espace once. They gave up, torched it and pushed it into the canal in the end. (Well, part exchanged it for a Volvo anyway - desperate measures and all that)
                              It's another bit to change fluids on and look after.

I think that just about sums it up but I reckon as long as you look after it I reckon it should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X