Overheating - Worst it could be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating - Worst it could be

OK, i am going to look at a Hilux Surf that has listed as the only problem that it overheats.

now as never having owned one of these before, simple question, and try and keep the answer as simple as possible lol.

what is the best and worst that this problem could be. am i looking at thousands or a few hundred or 50 quid to fix it. any adice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Worst case - cracked head, £1,200 ball park figure to have repaired..

Best case - radiator clogged with muck, dirt etc... gentle cleaning with a hose to remove the stuff ...free

Overheating issues sadly usually are gasket or head problems once the obvious things have been checked.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

It's fuced, walk away
      Brian

Comment

ah, so it not sounding good, no wonder it on for only 1.7k and only done 85k miles. always to good to be true i guess.

well will keep looking thanks everyone.

Comment

It's worth £500 max.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Worse Case scenario...whilst your looking at it, michael barrymore has a pool party at your house. Like albannach has said £500 max.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

not liking the idea of the barrymore pool party i have to say. most definitely worst case lol

ok is there going to be an easy way of diagnosing what the problem could be from looking at it, test driving it.

like i say not had one of these before so dont know how easy it is gonna be to tell what the problem is gonna be without taking a mechanic with me, and as dont know any that is gonna be a issue lol

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                Worse Case scenario...whilst your looking at it, michael barrymore has a pool party at your house. Like albannach has said £500 max.
                like he said dont end up in a lumuck
                i would walk away
                i would run if barrymore is there tho backwards
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by batesy16 View Post
                  not liking the idea of the barrymore pool party i have to say. most definitely worst case lol

ok is there going to be an easy way of diagnosing what the problem could be from looking at it, test driving it.

like i say not had one of these before so dont know how easy it is gonna be to tell what the problem is gonna be without taking a mechanic with me, and as dont know any that is gonna be a issue lol

Yep re read post 3
                  Brian

Comment

If you can get it for under a £1k, and do the work yourself, you'll probably have a perfectly nice truck for what you could pay for a good one.

It WILL have a cracked head, and as other said, these go for £500-800 generally if the seller is being honest.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by batesy16 View Post
                      OK, i am going to look at a Hilux Surf that has listed as the only problem that it overheats.

now as never having owned one of these before, simple question, and try and keep the answer as simple as possible lol.

what is the best and worst that this problem could be. am i looking at thousands or a few hundred or 50 quid to fix it. any adice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
                      Not that I would argue with you guys as to the likely cause of the overheating, but nobody seems to have asked the guy what year/model this truck is. Surely this must make a difference?

batesy16: I see you live in Stamford. Is this where the truck is located?
                      (I'm not looking to buy so don't panic.I'm happy with what I've got.)

Comment

Hi tony, unfortunately it not located in stamford, its down near portsmouth somewhere so it a bit of a trek, which is why was asking if there was any easy way of telling what the problem might be.

in answer to your question it is a '98 plate, 3.0. dont kow if that helps any.

Comment

I reckon popeye might go look for you if it's near Portsmouth.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

oh right will have to try and find out exact location

Comment

So its a 3rd gen if its a 98? Or is it one of those where they've quoted when it was registered in the UK, not actually how old it is?
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X