Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio Diesel?

HI guys,

I have been doing some research on way of running my Surf in a cheaper and more environmentaly fashion.

I have been searching out articles on veg oil use and indeed, have given it a go myself.

However, I am more interested in Bio Diesel (100%) not the 5% mix that some forecourts are selling as although these seem to be cheaper in tax (only slightly) they all seem to be the same price as ordinary diesel meaning the forecourt pockets the difference as extra profit!

Does anyone know if the 2.4 Lte engine can run on 100% bio diesel?

I have seen that many manufacturers are saying that their engines can cope with the 100% mix, and as the duty is only around 25p per litre, I am thinking that this is the way I would like to go.

If someone could point me in the right direction for info (i have searched the web, but gave up after 1 hour due to all the 5% mix info on there) I would be grateful.

Cheers

Typsey

Just got this information from the web. It spoke about how Gordon Brown gave a 20p/lt tax break for biodiesel and how that would not provide the requisite stimulus for the bio fuel market to really take off. Here is what some of our foriegn cousins are getting...

"In Germany, Italy, Poland, USA, Australia and many other countries around the world, there is no charge of Duty on the use of non-fossil fuels (bio-fuels including bio diesel 100% mix) for any purpose including transport. This is because the taxation in the European Union only applies to 'Mineral' hydrocarbon fuels, and not to organic hydrocarbon fuels. It is clear that Britain is a very long way behind our European partners in providing the legal framework to encourage and foster a viable bio-fuel industry. We hear plenty of 'Green Speak' from politicians, but little 'Green Do' from the British government. "

Doesn't this just peeve you off?

Also this is a link to a bio-fuels company that sells bio diesel 100 % mix for use in diesel engines where it states that you can use there version in any diesel engine.

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/products.htm#v100

It is available for home delivery in either 200 lt or 1000 lt quantities and they will even provide the gravity-fed storage tank.

They currently sell it at 70-75p/lt which isn't fantastic, but it is a saving. Just wish el-chancellor would take a leaf out of other countries books and scrap the tax on true green fuels.
    Last edited by The Typsey Russell; 22 June 2004, 14:45. Reason: forgot the link sorry.

Comment

It is generally accepted that biodiesel will run in any diesel engine that does not contain natural rubber content anywhere in its fuel system, as the bio acts as a mild solvent to such compounds.
      The vast majority of diesel engines from mid 90's ish (quite often earlier) do not contain natural rubber compounds are so are fine. I believe the Surf is okay in this regard too, but try and check/search youself to be certain.

The only other potential problems are clogging of the fuel filter after switching to bio as it can lift sludge and cr*p from the bottomm of your tank, will clear after a while but change your filter first and keep a spare handy for a while.
      In cold (below zero celcius) conditions biodiesel can gel and become unusable, and may have to be mixed with a winterizing agent or regular wintergrade diesel

I highly recomend the forum at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ for a wealth of info on the manufacture and use of biodiesel. It can get quite technical, but its well worth searching/browsing.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Just been on there. Looks like I have some research to get on with.

Comment

Biodiesel in 2.4l 1992 SSRx

Hi,

I am interested in using Biodiesel. From browsing various websites, including this forum, I read that Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine in its pure form or mixed in any percentage with petroleum diesel, and that typically no engine modifications are needed in order to run biodiesel (as opposed to straight vegetable oil (SVO) or filtered waste vegetable oil (WVO) which may require mods?).

However, some sources seem to suggest that in some older models high concentrations of biodiesel may deteriorate rubber parts in the fuel system. My vehicle is a K reg (01/11/92) Japanese import 2.4l diesel (EFI Turbo) Auto SSRx Surf (LN130 Chassis) - will I have to make modifications?

Does anyone have experience of running Biodiesel on a similar aged Surf - either combined in any percentage with petroleum diesel, or without any petroleum diesel at all?

If I do need to make modifications, obviously these rubber parts can be retrofitted with newer biodiesel-compatible parts. What rubber parts are these - presumably the fuel pipes, but are there any others I should be aware of (gaskets etc?), and what UK spec rubber replacement should I seek out?

I understand that the other minor disadvantage of biodiesel is that because biodiesel acts as an engine detergent, engines that have used petroleum diesel for a long time may release deposits that can clog fuel filters. This is obviously resolved by changing fuel filter more often (and carrying a spare).

Many thanks for your help.

Sean

Comment

me and an ex collegue have been making bio diesel for a few years visit www.veggiepower.org (.uk)? cant remember now, all info is on there
            Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
            HI guys,

I have been doing some research on way of running my Surf in a cheaper and more environmentaly fashion.

I have been searching out articles on veg oil use and indeed, have given it a go myself.

However, I am more interested in Bio Diesel (100%) not the 5% mix that some forecourts are selling as although these seem to be cheaper in tax (only slightly) they all seem to be the same price as ordinary diesel meaning the forecourt pockets the difference as extra profit!

Does anyone know if the 2.4 Lte engine can run on 100% bio diesel?

I have seen that many manufacturers are saying that their engines can cope with the 100% mix, and as the duty is only around 25p per litre, I am thinking that this is the way I would like to go.

If someone could point me in the right direction for info (i have searched the web, but gave up after 1 hour due to all the 5% mix info on there) I would be grateful.

Cheers

Typsey
            [url]www.higgsengineering.co.uk/carbonfibre.htm[/url]

Comment

According to the site that monitors filling stations that have bio diesel pumps, there is not a single pump in Bedfordshire. Surrounding counties have a sporadic smattering of bio diesel pumps.

I'm beginning to hate my current job. Maybe there is a green and useful way for me to make a living?
              There is a guy in Oxfordshire making bio diesel and he is also hawking the by product, which is pure glycerine soap, around all the garages and other businesses in the area.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

I 2 have looked at other options than petrolium diesel.
                The veggie option needs mod to run neat to aid cold starting but 50/50 mix with normal diesel seems to work fine. The customs & excise web site has info on the full use of veg oils and how you can lgally use it if you pay the tax (approx 2?.82p per ltr)
                I also looked at the bio option but no local pumps and the cost of production made it as dear if not more than petrolium diesel.
                To make your own bio diesel seemed risky as it says if you get the mix wrong then...BANG up in flames....you need to be shown properly or have a degree in chemistry lol.
                Any thing that make diesel cheaper and greener is good and will keep the surf/4runner grins going on and on and on and..........
                any other info is greatly recieved.
                BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Hi,

I use Veggie (46p per litre from Lidl) and pay the duty (27.1p per litre)

I have run nearly 100% veggie recently without problems - the only problem, you smell like a chippy !!!!

Trev
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Biodiesel stickers

Calling all like-minded biofuel persons! We should all be driving around with these stickers on

http://www.needasticker.com/biodiesel.htm

Help publicise the cause and get vegoils/biodiesel sold at the pumps!
                    (no I have no vested interest in the sale of the stickers!)

Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      Hi,

I use Veggie (46p per litre from Lidl) and pay the duty (27.1p per litre)

I have run nearly 100% veggie recently without problems - the only problem, you smell like a chippy !!!!

Trev
                      Do you thin the oil at all? Do you have an alternate tank to store the oil and use diesel for start/stop?

I'm interested in using oil, but not being very mechanically minded would prefer to use a system that doesn't require any mods to the engine.

If you use 100%, do you remove the glycerin content, and what is cold starting like?
                      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by dleach2103
                        Do you thin the oil at all? Do you have an alternate tank to store the oil and use diesel for start/stop?

I'm interested in using oil, but not being very mechanically minded would prefer to use a system that doesn't require any mods to the engine.

If you use 100%, do you remove the glycerin content, and what is cold starting like?
                        If you use the search facility you'll find lots of info as to how we use veggie in our Surfs, its been well covered before.

The main thread is here

Maurice
                        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                        X