Im back and need advice please !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im back and need advice please !!!

Hi all I am back!!! It was August 2008 since I was last on here but now I am back and need some advice please. I am looking for a 3.0ltr surf but firstly I need to know what the towing weight is as we have bought a twin axle caravan the weighs 1700kg fully laidened. I am currently pulling it with a 96 uk spec shogun that I have to say has been a real good car but I have had it for 2 years now and really do fancy another surf. I did have the 2.4 version before that served us very well but with problems with head gaskets and been under powered I have decided to go for the 3.0ltr Also what sort of mpg will I get from the 3.0ltr ? I have got my eye on a few nice looking ones but need to get the shogun sold first. Any help and advice would be great. Nice to be back

Hi Beno

my first caravan weighed about the same as the one your planning to tow with no problems, in fact I couldn't even tell it on there but after replacing the van for a 1785kg empty van last summer I've blown the head. I suggest you fit a tranny oil cooler and independent temp guage to help with the cooling problems suffered by these cars under load, the rating is 1500kg which I reckon relates more to the cooling issues than the cars ability for towing. My new van laden I reckon is close to 2200kg or so, also twin axle, and though the actual towing seemed fine it did struggle slightly on hills, which I reckon overheated the tran oil, the rad and blew the head, fit a temp guage that works to at least be able to monitor the situation. Driving like a fairy, sticking to 55-60 I got no less than 25mpg and nearer 30 on the Mway, not towing. H

Comment

Buy a 3rd gen, tow rate is much higher than the 2nd gens
      Brian

Comment

Remember too; there's a huge difference between what something can tow, what it can tow safely and what it can tow legally.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I hate to say it but better still is to buy a Land Cruiser, as that will tow a large twin axle van effortlessly.
          Mike G

Comment

Thanks for the replys :-) I have just pulled up an old topic and they reckon a surf will tow 2000kg legaly so that will ding dang do for me !!!! So fiiting an oil cooler will help when towing ? I know when we had the old 2.4 surf the transmission tunnel used to get very hot when under load. I will look into this.

Comment

Just having another look now what year did the 3rd gen come out ??

Comment

Originally posted by beno View Post
                Just having another look now what year did the 3rd gen come out ??
                1996 - N plate.
                'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Cheers that will help narrow my search !!! Im going to get the Shogun up for sale this week and lets see what I can find looking forward to getting back into a surf and the wife will be happy driving an auto again More brownie points for me

Comment

Working...
                  X