Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions Help please

Hi Everyone,
    just bought a M(95) 3.0lt turbo Blue,84.000miles Absolutley love it, had Disco and a paj before.
    Could someone tell me the interval for changing the timing belt, I am going to change it but just wondered what the recommended is?

Also My glow plug light seems to go off real fast so was thinking maybe they need changing, is this a big job, I do do little things like oil and brake pads and the egr on the paj but all of them are easy ?

Is there an egr on the surf if so anyone blocked or removed it , was it /is it worth doing?

Does anyone know any garage local/ish to walsall or cannock that know surfs, i'm thinking re the timing belt or any future stuff(not too much i hope)

Any advice on roof racks, mine doesn't have any rails and i need to carry a Kayak

I have 2 keys one with a 2 button plastic head and one without, is it poss to get another 2 button thing for other key, if so does it need programing to operate the central locking?

Sorry to post loads of questions but i'm real keen to get things done and keep it nice

Thanks a lot for any replies

Originally posted by gaz8885 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    just bought a M(95) 3.0lt turbo Blue,84.000miles Absolutley love it, had Disco and a paj before.
    Could someone tell me the interval for changing the timing belt, I am going to change it but just wondered what the recommended is?

100,000 kms ( approx 60,000 miles)

Also My glow plug light seems to go off real fast so was thinking maybe they need changing, is this a big job, I do do little things like oil and brake pads and the egr on the paj but all of them are easy ?

Pretty easy. just goot make sure you put the buzz bar in the correct order, do a search on plenty of pics of the correct order

Is there an egr on the surf if so anyone blocked or removed it , was it /is it worth doing?

Yes and yes and yes. Again do a search on egr plenty of info on this subject

Does anyone know any garage local/ish to walsall or cannock that know surfs, i'm thinking re the timing belt or any future stuff(not too much i hope)

Any advice on roof racks, mine doesn't have any rails and i need to carry a Kayak

Plenty of past info on this again a search will bring you plenty to read on the subject

I have 2 keys one with a 2 button plastic head and one without, is it poss to get another 2 button thing for other key, if so does it need programing to operate the central locking?

Think you can, might be genuine part from Toyota

Sorry to post loads of questions but i'm real keen to get things done and keep it nice

and welcome
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hello.

My glow plug light goes out real quick as well, but it starts fine. If this is the case for you, it's fine.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
        As above and give the truck a full service to cover everything

The glowplug light only stays on a for second then goes out.Hold on for upto about 10secs and listen for a click of the relay the the truck will start easy

As above again

As above again

As above again

A new key will probably cost a fortune to but.Most trucks i've seen have never had the remote key anyway

Hi And Welcome
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I would think providing the Surf doesn't mis fire on start up then the glow plugs are fine! Once the engine is warm they arn't used like spark plugs. You could probably start the engine with 2 knackered glow plugs, the Surf would mis fire until the compression heated up the two cylinders enough to begin igniting Diesel. Then the mis fire would go away.

A lot of waffle above to say that it's most likely your glow plugs are fine!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

welcome dude
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I'm just down the road in Brum and not found a local garage to work on the surf reliably yet, so do most of the work myself with a little out sourcing when required.

The Surf is easy enough to work on and with a little patience you can do pretty much everything it needs yourself.

The 3.0L timing belt is relatively simple and should only take you approx 1-2 hours if you have plenty of tea breaks

You are more than welcome to come over if you need something checking out and I'll help were possible.

Andy

Oh, and with the key are you sure it's an original and not for an after market alarm system ?

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks to you all for the answers, Growler i may take you up on it one day cheers for the offer, as for the key, it has a genuine toyota plastic key top wiyh two buttons, only on the one key though

Comment

Does your key have the two round buttons on it? If so I have the same - I have tried everywhere to get a new one with no luck at all. Even tried a key duplicator, but I think the key is on a different wavelength (possibly still the Japanese one which is not meant to be used here in the UK).

Let me know if you find any though!

As to the glow plug light - mine is exactly the same, on for about one second then its off again??

I am sure with the timing belt you should also change the tensioner - that is a bit more fiddly as you have to keep it upright and keep the timing marks correct etc, well, so my manual says.

Comment

ajstars, yes 2 little round buttons, i post here if i have any luck
                    Cheers

Comment

you will be lucky to find the keys over here with the remote locking buttons on as they are normally the original keys.
                      I ended up just using the key to unlock and lock the door as i couldn't be bothered looking anymore for the keys to remote lock/unlock
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Changing the glow plugs is an easy job. Just like changing spark plugs, really.

Can't find the thread right now but some poor sod ended up accidentally removing the injectors instead of the glow plugs though so be sure you're working on the right bits!

In terms of the glow plug warning light going off quickly so does mine but I do get an electronic "beep" after about 20 seconds or so which I assume is related to the plugs heating up.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                          Timing belt intervals are 100k n a light on the Dash will keep ya informed ...
                          And to reset, by removing the little rubber bung in the speedo plastic cover n prodding with a toothpick or similar !!
                          Hi n welcome by the way ...
                          Good Luck

Jess

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                          X