shake rattle and stall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shake rattle and stall

hi all, long time since i last posted on here. My 94 3.0 has a bit of a problem, when decelerating and the revs drop right down below 1000 rpm the engine starts to rattle and chucks out loads of black smoke and sometimes will stall. I,ve had it looked at and they seem to think that it is over fueling itself on low revs. Seems a bit strange to me as it only smokes when it is in gear, as soon as its in neutral it runs fine
    anyone had similar problems ?? would like to know a bit more before it goes into a toyota garage if poss. The only thing my usual mechanic suggested was taking the injectors out and sending them off to be tested but i aint got the time for that.
    cheers

What rpm does it normally idle at? Mine idles at rougly 750rpm with the a/c off and about 850rpm with the a/c on.

Comment

Originally posted by luap
      hi all, long time since i last posted on here. My 94 3.0 has a bit of a problem, when decelerating and the revs drop right down below 1000 rpm the engine starts to rattle and chucks out loads of black smoke and sometimes will stall. I,ve had it looked at and they seem to think that it is over fueling itself on low revs. Seems a bit strange to me as it only smokes when it is in gear, as soon as its in neutral it runs fine
      anyone had similar problems ?? would like to know a bit more before it goes into a toyota garage if poss. The only thing my usual mechanic suggested was taking the injectors out and sending them off to be tested but i aint got the time for that.
      cheers
      If it was overfuelling on low revs then it would do it if you were driving at 5 mph (low revs), sound like it could be overfuelling on deaccleration due to the fuel pump not retarding quick enough. But I would have thought that if this was the case then it would be revving high as you deacclerated. Had it on a petrol car, advance and retard was duff and when stopping the revs just stayed up around 3000rpm+. If it was injectors I would have thought again it would do it at any time.
      Just a thought but I wonder if disconnecting the battery/s for a few minutes might reset the ECU, worth a try first before you spend on it. What do others think???
      Last edited by Koi; 23 June 2004, 06:45.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

cheers for the replies, I had to go to ireland the day after I posted this so have only just read them.
        cars been into the toyota garage in chichester and apparently its the EGR, not sure exactly what that does meself.
        they have ordered one from japan (apparently there are none in europe) and are going to relieve me of £400 quid ish to sort it........ oh well.......the joys of being a surf owner!!

Comment

that's the exhaust gas recirculation valve... plenty on here about it

but wouldn't have thought that would give your symptoms... plenty of people disconnect them for a "performance boost" and the pajero lot even take them off and blank the hole completely.
          i may be wrong though... i'm with koi on this disconnect batteries for 1/4 hour to reset the ECU and see if there's any change.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Doh, yeah that could be right, if the EGR fails then it will stall at low revs or tickover be hesitant on acceleration. If its stuck open then it creates the effect of blocking it off anyway.
            But £400 is not right its only a little vacuum valve made from a tin can, Uri Gellared into a flying saucer shape and a rubber diaphram, its only this that fails. The lower part of the assembly gets clogged up but can be taken off and cleaned up.
            Ask hilux (Bob) if hes got one laying around

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
              Doh, yeah that could be right, if the EGR fails then it will stall at low revs or tickover be hesitant on acceleration. If its stuck open then it creates the effect of blocking it off anyway.
              But £400 is not right its only a little vacuum valve made from a tin can, Uri Gellared into a flying saucer shape and a rubber diaphram, its only this that fails. The lower part of the assembly gets clogged up but can be taken off and cleaned up.
              Ask hilux (Bob) if hes got one laying around
              BOB has not got one he says you cant get the bits seperatley
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                BOB has not got one he says you cant get the bits seperatley

Well in that case before shelling out £400 I would ask which part has failed, you may as well put the blanking plate in between the engine and the EGR pipe, this should bypass the EGR completey and is a cheaper try this first thing.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                  d'uh... ok... disregard my previous message!! hehehe!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X