Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems

Hello from East Yorkshire

First time on the forum and new to Surf ownership, albeit a non runner.
    Im no motor mechanic but can pretty much get my head around most things mechanical but more used to petrol engines than diesel and could do with some direction with a starting problem.

The vehicle is an L reg Surf SSR X 3L

Engine turns but doesn’t fire. Guy I bought it off suspected the fuel pump and was so convinced he bought a replacement pump. He just didn’t have the will to replace it.
    Anyhow, I have checked that im getting fuel to the pump via the filter/priming pump. I then disconnected two of the easiest to get to fuel supply lines to the injectors and got no fuel.
    My simple logic tells me that its got to be the fuel pump but I did wonder if it could be one or more of the solenoids? I have checked the feeds to the solenoids and im getting power but only very small voltages and I have no idea if these voltages are correct to drive the solenoids. I can hear the main solenoid pulling in on moving the key to pre ignition so that seems OK but before I remove the pump I wondered if I can eliminate the solenoids?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipations

Ian

Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay in approving your first post but we have had a few problems with the forum.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

welcome yorkshire dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

If your getting around 5v to the back of the pump it sounds correct. If your not getting fuel up...hmmm. You could perform a diagnostic. Do a search for fault codes. Good luck.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Could be the wee pump filter choked?

Does the truck have an aftermarket immobiliser?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

ismiff

Doesnt have an immobaliser fitted.
            Have changed the fuel filter.
            Having thouhghts about the stop solenoid is it possible to get it out without removing the fuel pump, can't seem to get a spanner on it.

Comment

ismiff

Power supply seems suspect. Checking for faults.
              Thanks for your suggestions.
              Fuel arriving at the pump but not leaving it.
              Last edited by ismiff; 1 July 2010, 22:24. Reason: misspelling

Comment

New to the system

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay in approving your first post but we have had a few problems with the forum.
                Thanks for the welcome.
                Thought that I had caused a problem when the site went down as soon as I posted a query.
                Was starting to think I could'nt get help, think the site is going to be really usefull.

Comment

there is a small filter in the 3.0l fuel pumps that may of got clogged up.Its on the side of the pump i believe so you should be able to get to it with the pump in place,or check the replacement pump you got there if you have it.
                  Also if you slacken the 2 nuts on the top of the fuel pump front one first and see if fuel is coming out when primer is pressed and then the rear nut.I did have pics of what i'm on about but lost the file they were in
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Just a thought are you getting the glo plug light come on when you turn the ignition on?
                    monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ismiff View Post
                      Thanks for the welcome.
                      Thought that I had caused a problem when the site went down as soon as I posted a query.
                      Was starting to think I could'nt get help, think the site is going to be really usefull.
                      Hi n welcome to the MAD,MAD,MAD world of "Surfdom" In case ya haven't already it's always worthwhile scrolling down to the foot of the page n checking post there also
                      Good Luck

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X