Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebie Surf owner - turbo questions on a 2.4

Hi all,

I recently got a '92 2.4 Surf, and have a few questions...

Yes, I have searched the forum, and trawled the interweb for infos, but can't quite join the bits together, so was hoping someone could help with some minor enlightenment

Ooo - I also have the Haynes & Ellery manuals too.

Firstly, the green Turbo light only comes on with ignition, never when the engine is running, so I assume there is a boost or sensor issue.

I have found a variety of pictures, diagrams, and a fault finding chart, but nothing matches the layout I have under the bonnet - which is handy!

There are refs to high & low pressure sensors, but I can only find a single sensor, connected to the throttle body

http://spagweb.com/gallery/10_smurf/pipe01.jpg

When Changing the fuel filter, I did find a couple of other VSVs tucked away under the inlet manifold, but I can't find what either should do, or how the vac system should be plumbed.

http://spagweb.com/gallery/10_smurf/pipe02.jpg
    http://spagweb.com/gallery/10_smurf/pipe03.jpg

So, any hints on how the blue one on top of the TB should be connected to the orange and brown under the TB would be most appreciated !

Lastly, I removed the induction pipes in and out of the turbo, and established (by blocking the outlet with me hand) that it seems to be producing some pressure (as yet not measured/quantified).

However, there is oil coming out from compressor housing, so I assume that the shaft bearing/seals are in need of attention.

Sorry for a long first post, but wanted to include all pertinent info.

Hope someone can assist.

Many thanks

Ian

Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay in approving your first post but we have had a few problems with the forum.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

welcome dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hello.
        You have a turbo sensor(or should have) next to, or attached to the air filter. It has an embedded signal wire and some vac tubing to it.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Check for leaking, loose, disconnected and incorrectly connected vacuum pipes.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i had the same issue when i bought mine, just turned out that the vac hose to the sensor by the airfilter had come off..... stick it back on and off goes my truck....

the arrow points to the sensor, if i can get a minute i will take a pic of where the hose form it should go....
            Last edited by BigBobE; 26 June 2010, 15:49.

Comment

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=5

That might help
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Hi, thanks for the welcome and thoughts so far.

I did include links to my pics in the post to show what I had found, but now I've been moderated, I can stick them inline...

No problems locating the sensor on the side of the air filter, and the pipe to the TB/Inlet.

But I can't find a good diagram of the vac pipes that connect the blue/orange/brown VSVs - or a description of what each one is supposed to actually do.

I have seen pics with different plumbing and the brown/orange on top of the TB, but mine are hiding underneath, so it's very hard to trace the pipes.

Is the wastegate the only method used for limiting boost pressure? It's not clear if the valve behind the TB - in the inlet manifold is just EGR, or if it opens to divert inlet pressure into the exhaust...

Regarding the oil in the compressor housing, I'll rebuild the snail with new bearings and seals - that should sort that

Ian

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9859

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev, lots of good info in there

Looks like it's all emmisionsy stuff and not turbo control, so plenty of scope to 'rationalise' it

I have tried an alternative MAP sensor, and checked the pipe to the manifold, and no more luck with the green light.

I have a cunning plan though, as I don't have a vac/boost gauge, I'll hook up the pipe to a spare Megasquirt ECU and use that to read the pressures to see what boost is being produced

Comment

Your Vacuum hose routing looks different from what I remember. Are you absolutely sure they are all on OK?
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                      X