Recommend a small 4x4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
    I made a fatal mistake at the Jap n Jeep Jam the other weekend. I let the missus drive the Surf.

It was her first time driving ANYTHING with 4 wheels and she absolutely loved the off-road course. Having been a biker for quite a few years, she is now absolutely dead set on learning to drive on 4 (x4!) wheels and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of small 4x4s that we might be able to get our hands on?

Having had a bit of a look around it's looking like something along the lines of old Suzuki Jimnys or Vitaras are all that I've been able to find. We'd be looked at paying £500 or so for a non-runner/tatty looker and then probably re-building the engine (or whatever) while she learns to drive and hopefully having it ready to use by next summer.

If anyone can make any suggestions as to what to look for I'd be most intruiged to research things further...

Thanks
    Hi i would go for suzuki jimmy cheap to run and fix when it all goes pear shaped not saying your wife cant drive but if you take off road ya break something sooner or later

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
      Hi i would go for suzuki jimmy cheap to run and fix when it all goes pear shaped not saying your wife cant drive but if you take off road ya break something sooner or later
      Yeah - they seem to be fairly plentiful (although not quite as many of them around as there are Vitaras and slightly more expensive too).

I do feel like I'm kinda pushing my luck hoping to get one for about £500 that will get through an MOT without too much effort.

Ideally I quite fancy the 1600 petrol version cos it's slightly cheaper insurance than the 2litre V6 or the diesel but if we happen on any kind of bargain we'll probably go for it.

Comment

I'm sure one of the Scottish contingent recently modded a small suzuki I think, can't find the thread now, but it turned out really really well.

Was a vid of it jumping on the moors somewhere too lol

peace
        cal
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

My wife has a sore leg...but she doesn't drive a daihstsu.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Okies found the thread/truck I was looking for, as a smaller offroader I thought this was awsome in the end.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=%A3250
            peace
            cal
            Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Get her a LR disco as it wil break down just enough that she can still get the housework done!
              Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                Get her a LR disco as it wil break down just enough that she can still get the housework done!

Comment

Working...
                X