Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Buying Advice

Hi

I'm just looking into buying a Surf - had originally looked at getting a Defender but I need to be able to use it to deliver bread in winter and also I do a lot of scouting and I think the surf gives the best option between car and pick up.

Basically I have up to about £3k and just a bit confused over whats best:
    - Manual/Auto (having never driven an auto before)
    - 2nd/3rd gen - I know its something to do with the diff

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated

Ello and welcome

Have a read here.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61463

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Yeah I've read that

Don't suppose it really matters auto/manual - personal preference

Whats the difference between 2nd and 3rd generations is whats really confusing me?

Comment

turd gen intercooled, 2nd gen not.

or so im led to believe...
        My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Not all 3rd gens are intercooled - and it doesn't make a huuuge difference. Personally, judging by what you're planning to do with it, I'd look for as tidy and as standard a 3rd gen (TDi or TD) as you can find.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by mrdanger2002 View Post

Whats the difference between 2nd and 3rd generations is whats really confusing me?
            2nd gen more boxy shaped and you have to lower the rear window to drop the tailgate. Prefered drive of 'ard men.

3rd gen rounder shape, a little more refined and a lift up tailgate. Prefered drive of hairdressers!

(BTW before anyone gets arsey, my comments are for amusement value only. I wouldn't mind a 3rd gen myself one of these days.)
            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

3rd Gen is what you want. I have had mine for allmost 2 years, paid £3K for it with 110,000 on the clock, now at 126.000, apart from seviceing, tyres and an exhaust it's been faultless, and the A/C stilll works. The best 4x4 I have owned so far !!

I don't cut hair............... but I do cut grass, hedges,trees etc.

Comment

Some say 3rd Gen, some say 2nd gen, ask somebody local for a test drive, test em both before ya make a decision ...
                Good Luck
                Jess

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                X