No announcement yet.

1watt blue laser £150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. The system was designed to scan a scene and find reflections from hidden optics (all things like sights, optical targeting systems, cameras etc retroreflect so can be 'found' by laser) and then damage them. A side effect was that you could find hidden snipers / tanks etc and do what you will with them.

I'm not sure if the system went into service or not because the Geneva Convention bans any laser system designed to damage eyesight on purpose or by likely side effect. You can bomb the shit out of someone, cut them in two with 40mm, drop in a Hellfire on them etc, but some interfering European will slap your wrist if you damage someones eyesight.

<edit> re the effect. It was capable of burning the coating on optics, or in extreme cases, melting parts of the optics, and of course if the optics had a sensor of some sort on the back, destroying or damaging that.
    Last edited by Apache; 16 June 2010, 21:51.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
      Target designator AH64D by any chance ?
      Not by design John. Not sure what the power of that is. Doesn't need to be particularly powerful. This other 'thing' was designed to find stuff and attempt to dazzle or destroy targeting systems / sights etc

Comment

Ah the 'Rules of engagement' do the ragheads know about the geneva convention ? or the use of flechette rounds ?
        Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Not by design John. Not sure what the power of that is. Doesn't need to be particularly powerful. This other 'thing' was designed to find stuff and attempt to dazzle or destroy targeting systems / sights etc
          Yes the Challenger men talked about it a lot, just thought the AAC had got to have a go as well
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Yes. The system was designed to scan a scene and find reflections from hidden optics (all things like sights, optical targeting systems, cameras etc retroreflect so can be 'found' by laser) and then damage them. A side effect was that you could find hidden snipers / tanks etc and do what you will with them.

I'm not sure if the system went into service or not because the Geneva Convention bans any laser system designed to damage eyesight on purpose or by likely side effect. You can bomb the shit out of someone, cut them in two with 40mm, drop in a Hellfire on them etc, but some interfering European will slap your wrist if you damage someones eyesight.

<edit> re the effect. It was capable of burning the coating on optics, or in extreme cases, melting parts of the optics, and of course if the optics had a sensor of some sort on the back, destroying or damaging that.
            Interesting! Must have been very precise to find and target.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              Interesting! Must have been very precise to find and target.
              Thats pretty much the definition of laser.

Comment

Years ago an older brother of one of mty pals made a groovy disco light with the laser from a photocopier. It was mounted to a board with a rotating angled mirror and would draw cool spinning shapes on the wall.

We took the laser off and used it to annoy the life out of dogs being walked at night, they would go nuts chasing the wee red dot.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thats pretty much the definition of laser.
                  Thats not what I meant, I meant that to target the optics exactly so that the beam hits the back of camera and doesnt refract off the lens or hit the inside casing
                  That just seems to be a big obstacle to me - but I don't know anything about it!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i never mess with anything like that

honest
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      but I don't know anything about it!
                      No shit?

If you hit anywhere in the optical FoV, you will hit the sensor on the back. Think about it. It's obvious.

As for damaging the optics, it will work better in the FoV, but its not absolutely necessary.

Comment

Think about it. It's obvious.
                        Everything is obvious when you know everything about it!

Comment

Did you state the obvious for any particular reason?

Whatever field of view the optics can see, the laser energy can enter and hit the detector. It IS obvious, is it not?

Comment

Simple disco laser.....

Rip the front of your dads hifi speakers and glue a small
                            compact (as in womens face paint) mirror to the front of the cone
                            shine laser at mirror and choose your favorite rock track.......
                            Sit back and watch the little red dot dance on the wall.......

Spose a bit of drum n bass would be good if you could stand
                            to listen to that sort of cack.........boom chicka wow wah
                            Remember arrows are silent.....................
                            Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
                              Simple disco laser.....

Rip the front of your dads hifi speakers and glue a small
                              compact (as in womens face paint) mirror to the front of the cone
                              shine laser at mirror and choose your favorite rock track.......
                              Sit back and watch the little red dot dance on the wall.......

Spose a bit of drum n bass would be good if you could stand
                              to listen to that sort of cack.........boom chicka wow wah
                              machine head...imperium, would work a treat!
                              My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Working...
                              X