No announcement yet.

Front end on ball joint spacer lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is the way i do it tony.jack the truck up,remove the front wheels,place a jack under the lower ball joint,jack the lower wishbone arm up,this in turn lifts the top wishbone up,then when theres enough space under the top wishbone jam a socket under it,then undo the four top ball joint mounting bolts,let the jack down that holding the bottom wishbone.the top wishbone should stay where it is being held in place by the socket you jammed under it.cut out the back of the top wishbone,fit spacers.jack bottom wishbone back up making sure the new spacer bolts locate in the ball joint,tighten up and jobs a goodun.simples.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      jam a socket under it,then undo the four top ball joint mounting bolts,let the jack down that holding the bottom wishbone.the top wishbone should stay where it is being held in place by the socket
      Top Tip old chap!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

this is the way i do it tony.jack the truck up,remove the front wheels,place a jack under the lower ball joint,jack the lower wishbone arm up,this in turn lifts the top wishbone up,then when theres enough space under the top wishbone jam a socket under it,then undo the four top ball joint mounting bolts,let the jack down that holding the bottom wishbone.the top wishbone should stay where it is being held in place by the socket you jammed under it.cut out the back of the top wishbone,fit spacers.jack bottom wishbone back up making sure the new spacer bolts locate in the ball joint,tighten up and jobs a goodun.simples.
        That sounds a much easier way than what we did!
        We ended up removing ARB and used a VERY long pry bar held by me the majority of the time whilst someone tried to wiggle all of the spacers and hub back in place. In the end someone else held the pry bar as they were scared the truck was going to fall on them and they wiggled the bar (which was on the top wishbone) whilst I managed to get the nuts and bolts through the spacers.
        I even attempted to loosten off the tortion bar but gave up as I didn't know which way to turn it :/
        I havent dropped the diff yet. The CV boots are sucked in though.
        Tracking yet to do, it's booked in for someone to attempt this on Wednesday.
        Thanks for these tips, found them too late though but got there in the end. Went through a whole case of beer and a lot of BBQ food

So here is a few photos!
        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=534750544
        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=534750544
        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=534750544
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Looking really good there matey!

So, if I remember correctly, you have a 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift kit and the ball joint spacers (presumably 2"?)

Is there anything else that you've done to it?

(just asking cos the above is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do as well as free wheeling hubs)

Comment

place a jack under the lower ball joint,jack the lower wishbone arm up,this in turn lifts the top wishbone up,then when theres enough space under the top wishbone jam a socket under it,
            I couldn't do that, as soon as I started jacking, it lifted the truck off the stand. I must have the stands too close to the centre of the truck, I'll move them tomorrow at some point (if I get up early enough).
            Last edited by Albannach; 3 July 2010, 21:43.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              We ended up removing ARB and used a VERY long pry bar held by me the majority of the time whilst someone tried to wiggle all of the spacers and hub back in place.
              Did you totally remove it? If so (for next time) to negate the ARB's effect on the suspension, it's only necessary to remove one end link.

I even attempted to loosten off the tortion bar but gave up as I didn't know which way to turn it :/
              Anti-Clockwise.

Comment

That sounds a much easier way than what we did!
                We ended up removing ARB and used a VERY long pry bar held by me the majority of the time whilst someone tried to wiggle all of the spacers and hub back in place. In the end someone else held the pry bar as they were scared the truck was going to fall on them and they wiggled the bar (which was on the top wishbone) whilst I managed to get the nuts and bolts through the spacers.
                I havent dropped the diff yet. The CV boots are sucked in though.
                Tracking yet to do, it's booked in for someone to attempt this on Wednesday.
                Thanks for these tips, found them too late though but got there in the end. Went through a whole case of beer and a lot of BBQ food

So here is a few photos!
                http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=534750544
                http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=534750544
                http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=534750544
                likeing your truck, i like the 3gen wheels on a 2gen.
                just added you as a friend on facebook i'm john jones check out my photo albums.
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  I couldn't do that, as soon as I started jacking, it lifted the truck off the stand. I must have the stands too close to the centre of the truck, I'll move them tomorrow at some point (if I get up early enough).
                  This happened to us a good few times. Even on the rear.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Did you totally remove it? If so (for next time) to negate the ARB's effect on the suspension, it's only necessary to remove one end link.

Anti-Clockwise.
                    We unbolted it from the chassis to stop it acting on the wishbone, and I did do it anti clockwise. Must have got about 4 or 5 turns on it, but didn't make any difference so done it back up LOL
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                      likeing your truck, i like the 3gen wheels on a 2gen.
                      just added you as a friend on facebook i'm john jones check out my photo albums.
                      Cheers John. Will do!
                      The 3rd gen wheels are going now though. I have some American Racing rims to pick up next week
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Cheers John. Will do!
                        The 3rd gen wheels are going now though. I have some American Racing rims to pick up next week
                        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Must have got about 4 or 5 turns on it, but didn't make any difference so done it back up LOL
                          You'd need 20 or so to start with, probably more...

Comment

We unbolted it from the chassis to stop it acting on the wishbone, and I did do it anti clockwise. Must have got about 4 or 5 turns on it, but didn't make any difference so done it back up LOL
                            Tony there is a nut on the top that will sometimes spin so you need a decent spanner on that aswell in order to be able to adjust the t/bar
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              Tony there is a nut on the top that will sometimes spin so you need a decent spanner on that aswell in order to be able to adjust the t/bar
                              Cheers Rich I had a spanner on both. I just couldnt figure out how adjusting that bolt adjusts the tortion bar... I think I'm right in understanding that the tortion bar is just a long bar that is sprung by twisting. When I look at the adjustment bolt I can see what appears to be a clamp with the 22mm bolt going through. I cant see, but I guess that this bolts thread mates with a thread or grooves on the tortion bar, so when turning the bolt it then further twists the tortion bar.
                              If I knew the workings I would have probably got by yesterday LOL I think my understanding (the above) is wrong
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X