Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33's or not to be!

Hi folks,

I am looking for a bit of advice from you lot running 33’s on a 2.4 with 4.8 diffs. The bottom line for me is I get on great with my 2.4 but hate the way it looks! I lifted the suspension and done the 2 inch body lift sometime back with the intension of fitting 33’s but ran out of cash. My 31’s look a little lost if I am honest now the tread has worn down a bit, Insa Turbos! I wouldn’t buy them again. I have noticed that some people have no problems with the performance loss or put up with and others claim that the truck becomes stupid slow on the road and dies at every hill. My 2.4 does really well with modern driving and hills etc probably down to the 3 inch dump pipe, 2 ½ inch rear and intercooler etc and I get around 9kms per litre so I can drop a bit of fuel but say at the moment, there is not a hill I can’t get up with ease at 50mph, overdrive off would I be correct that this might drop to around 30-40mph

I know it is not an exact science and every truck is different but just a pall park idea would be great. I am just about to buy new tyres and can’t make my mind up… I know it's been asked before but nought wrong with a fresh attempt I reckon...

cheers!

I have had 2 2.4td the first pulled up hills without a thought, the current one weeps when it sees a slope!! think I have lack of compression ? piston rings worn.... anyway I found the best look on the surf was wider not higher.

Comment

I have a 2.4 and hills are not a problem, where i live it would be nice to have some level ground every corner is a hill, im running 33's with kl71's on, 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift and it pulls up most hills around 50mph without ect and overdrive on.

James.
      My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

Originally posted by james-r View Post
        I have a 2.4 and hills are not a problem, where i live it would be nice to have some level ground every corner is a hill, im running 33's with kl71's on, 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift and it pulls up most hills around 50mph without ect and overdrive on.

James.
        Hi James

You are making me want to go for 33's again! I'm the same here hills and more hills. I journeyed down to Fort William and back up the road fully loaded and thought to myself after the journey the old girl pulled well but would running 33's make that much of a difference? I don't want to fork out for 33's cause I would need new wheels also for a truck that might be great off road but fall a little short on the road. I was also a little concerned that the engine braking might be effected a little as the low ratio gearing with the auto box is already a little high I think?

I am still on the fence I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
          I have had 2 2.4td the first pulled up hills without a thought, the current one weeps when it sees a slope!! think I have lack of compression ? piston rings worn.... anyway I found the best look on the surf was wider not higher.
          The lifts have already been done and I don't like the idea of removing them now. Maybe 32's might fill the gap a little better without trashing me gearing so much?

Comment

yours didnt look too bad with the 31's on from what i remember from the pics, but the 33's do fill the arches a lot better.
            This is my first surf so i dont know any different, how is yours now? have you decided to keep it? its a shame i couldnt get upto skye but im very happy with mine.
            My brakes dont work, so i made the horn louder.

Comment

i run kl71's at 33

i run kl71's at 33 but i have 2.4 manual and i have noticed a small drop in power and a wee increase in mpg but the kl71's a super tyre on road to but when off road drop the tyre psi to around 20 psi some drop it lower
              S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Originally posted by james-r View Post
                yours didnt look too bad with the 31's on from what i remember from the pics, but the 33's do fill the arches a lot better.
                This is my first surf so i dont know any different, how is yours now? have you decided to keep it? its a shame i couldnt get upto skye but im very happy with mine.
                I finally got the cash together for the mot! I was that broke, a really bad month but the surf passed again! I did get an advisory this time, a little play NS track rod end but hey considering what I have put her through that was a result! Truth be told, I still need more seats but the available cash after selling up left me with some really poor options. I would only end up buying another Surf again and with my luck the head would go! When I think about it I must have been ill considering a Disco or another 109. I have finished with LR's...

It's great you got one and with 33's already fitted! They just look so much better with them I think. I reckon mine looked much better without the lift and 31's. I am thinking about 32's but when it comes to buying I'll probably end up buying 33's and moan about the performance!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                  i took mine fully loaded accross europe austria and germany full of BIG hills and did notice a small lag on some hills but i put it down to the fact i was carrying 3 womens clothes and the kitchen sink ive done it twice now and really think your wetting your knickers over nothing, fit the big tyres and enjoy
                  You are so right! New wheels and tyres, 33's it is! Why worry Thanks man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                    You are so right! New wheels and tyres, 33's it is! Why worry Thanks man!!!
                    Wahoooo! you finally convinced yourself!
                    I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                      Hi James

You are making me want to go for 33's again! I'm the same here hills and more hills. I journeyed down to Fort William and back up the road fully loaded and thought to myself after the journey the old girl pulled well but would running 33's make that much of a difference? I don't want to fork out for 33's cause I would need new wheels also for a truck that might be great off road but fall a little short on the road. I was also a little concerned that the engine braking might be effected a little as the low ratio gearing with the auto box is already a little high I think?

I am still on the fence I reckon
                      There was someone on here running 35's and a 2.4td. He said there was not much difference - search for rodleach and you'll find his post about it.
                      I had a 2.4 with a free flowing exhaust and intercooler. Also boost was upped to 11psi. on the motorway I kept the boost around 7psi which was about half throttle I think. This would be around 75 - 80mph cruising on flat ground. Hills slowed the surf down to about 65. Tyres were 30.5".

Do you have spacers on your rims? Can you post pics of your surf?
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X