i used to like my surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
    I had a 3.0 2nd gen up to a few weeks ago when the engine blew on it.I have abused that truck off road and on road.I have pull close to 3.5t up a welsh mountain and the truck still went on.I habve had the atf warning light on and the temp in the red on quite a few occassions and it still went on for abuse.I never serviced this truck properly for a good 2 years and when i did a full service on it the ruddy engine blew.My truck cost 5k nearly 6 yrs ago but i used the truck for what it was designed for.Bushwhacker put a pic of my old rad up while it was clogged with mud.Yes i did get the temp up while towing but i adjusted the driving to get the temp down again or i pulled over to allow it to cool for a short while.
    However when the engine finally gave up i bought a 1998 3rd gen which is great for towing and better than the 2nd gen.I miss the old truck but as i need something for towing long distance the 3rd gen is great
    ...and still didn't crack the head....
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
      ...and still didn't crack the head....
      It just goes to show tho Charlie that these trucks are built to last.Mine wasn't looked after and i treated it rough until i serviced it and it was shock to the engine and it buggared up
      Glad the head was ok for you tho
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

good god!!!! reading through this lot makes me wonder what the hell i've bought.... anyway one good flushing session and refilled with a 33% antifreeze mix the temp gauge is stable (shame i'm not) and if i have worked the mpg out correctly its doing 28mpg on 60mph country roads now after reading different posts of members it can vary from 18mpg to 28mpg for a good one it looks like its never had a towbar fitted oh its a second gen 2.4 on a k plate its been in the uk since 2004 and its done about 112,000mls apart from the aircon needing re-gassing everything works i managed to pick it up for £730 put it straight in for the test and it went through with no advisories so i don't think i did too bad with it
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

28mpg at 60mph on country roads! I wish. You sure that ain't 28 kilometres per gallon?
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

nah roughly between 25 and 28mpg depending on how i drive it at the moment i drive like an old man on a sunday outing. i am still trying to work out if its economically viable for me to keep but the jury's still out on that one yet. its definately better on diesel than my old discovery and that averaged 24 to 26mpg on the same roads
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
              28mpg at 60mph on country roads! I wish.
              Low to mid thirties for a petrol 3rd gen.

Comment

Working...
              X