Window tinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window tinting

Bought a roll of window tint from fleabay to coat the little 'uns bedroom window 'cos it's cheaper than buying blackout blinds (and I'm not happy about having loose cord hanging around from a safety point of view as well).

The added bonus of this is that I can have a bit of a muck about trying to tint the back windows of my Surf with the left over film.

"How hard can it be?" I thought.

Despite my famous last words, actually not very hard at all. It's time consuming and there is a real knack to doing a good job (alas, a knack I haven't quite got yet) but given that the alternative to slightly naff looking DIY window tinting is no window tinting at all I'll stick with what I'm doing. It'll hopefully help keep the truck a bit cooler (little 'un has been struggling during the warm spells so far this year & it'll probably be good for the dogs in the back too).

Only done 2 windows so far. I attempted the back window and it was an absolute disaster so gave up on that one to save wasting loads of film until I get my technique right.

I've done the "quarterlite" on the left and the main rear passenger window on the right. It's just that it was those two that I didn't make a huge muck-up of from the pieces of film I cut from the cardboard templates I've made.

The untinted quarterlite next to the tinted main passenger window makes it look like someone has smashed the untinted window in!

One of the dogs is at the vets tomorrow getting neutered so I'll spend the time at my dad's house (near the vets) having a go at the other windows I think. Can't help but think I ought to get around to doing more important stuff (like the glow plugs!) but I should get time for that too.

Mine has light tinting on the very back windows but that was how I bought it. Was thinking it could maybe do with being a bit darker. Stop people nosing in & seeing what's in the boot they might want! I may just have to give your idea a go.
    It's only kinky the first time...

Comment

i did my rear window on a warm day disaster, and had a bit toooo much soapy water :P

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Instigator View Post
        Mine has light tinting on the very back windows but that was how I bought it. Was thinking it could maybe do with being a bit darker. Stop people nosing in & seeing what's in the boot they might want! I may just have to give your idea a go.
        You'll have to remove the old tint first (obviously) and probably give it a good wash down with acetone (nail polish remover) to remove any glue residues so I'd make sure it's something you really want to do.

I got a quote for doing the rear passenger windows & the tailgate window (the other two boot windows are already done) and I was told just over £200 plus VAT for a decent job.

NO WAY I can afford that at the moment so I'll stick to DIY thankyouverymuch.

Especially given that I've got the film anyway.

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
        i did my rear window on a warm day disaster, and had a bit toooo much soapy water :P
        Too much soapy water shouldn't really be a problem from what I've read about it but I could be wrong. I'm no expert...

I tried "washing up liquid" soapy water at first but found it wasn't quite good enough for allowing the film to move around when you're placing it against the window. Went back to trawl t'intarweb and saw that quite a few folks were recommending using baby shampoo instead of washing up liquid. Did that and it works a treat.

I'll have to see how things go when it dries though...
        Last edited by Rustinho; 3 June 2010, 23:15.

Comment

Oh dear! I now have visions of it ending up as a wet t-shirt contest between the two of you!! pmsl...

Comment

Oh dear! I now have visions of it ending up as a wet t-shirt contest between the two of you!! pmsl...
            Ogle my MOOBS, baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
              Ogle my MOOBS, baby!

Jeezzzzzz I'm jealous! They're bigger than mine.

Comment

Jeezzzzzz I'm jealous! They're bigger than mine.
                We demand proof! (Well, I do anyway. But don't tell the missus) lol

Comment

Dunno about proof, it'd take too long to roll em back up & in! But I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at Avalanche & putting faces to names!

Comment

Dunno about proof, it'd take too long to roll em back up & in! But I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at Avalanche & putting faces to names!
                    Alas, can't make it to Avalanche but I'm hoping to have a cheap & cheerful family day out at the Jap & Jeep Jam...

http://www.japnjeepjam.com/

Wonder what my dogs will make of off-roading...?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                      Alas, can't make it to Avalanche but I'm hoping to have a cheap & cheerful family day out at the Jap & Jeep Jam...

http://www.japnjeepjam.com/

Wonder what my dogs will make of off-roading...?
                      Wow, that looks like a cracking day/weekend out. Sure the dogs will either be terrified or love it! My cat on the other hand would just be mortified at getting dirty! lol..

Comment

Wow, that looks like a cracking day/weekend out. Sure the dogs will either be terrified or love it! My cat on the other hand would just be mortified at getting dirty! lol..
                        Is that a euphamism for something?

Comment

Pmsl......no, but I can see now how you may think that. I keep forgetting you lot are nearly as bad as me!

Comment

hello stranger and where have you been hiding to.See you at avalanche.Are you still in need of a sunroof.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Pmsl......no, but I can see now how you may think that. I keep forgetting you lot are nearly as bad as me!
                              most of this lot are a hell of a lot worse than you..
                              me on the other hand i am quiet and wouldn't think of having dirty thoughts go through my head....
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X