What fun....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fun....

ARB's = One sliced arm, one busted 18mm socket, one bolt sheered (going to have to try and drill that out I think), and the old arb system is still in place.
    Was renewing links and bushes etc, haven't even managed to get the old ones off yet and that's just the front, not even attempted the rear, although the rears don't look to bad. There was a comment on here a couple of weeks ago about someones truck being parked up in a swamp judging by the amount of rust under it, I think this is also where mine was left .
    Once all these niggling bits and peices are done it'll be time to take a wire brush/sand paper to the underside, turn the truck upside down, order up a cement lorry full of waxoil and pour on .
    Neal

Ahem, yeah, that comment was me. Sorry!

Which bolts snapped off? Have you sprayed it with any penetrating fluid at all? If not I'd do that every so often for a day or two and then try again.

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Ahhhhhhh the joys of owning a surf.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Finished removing my'n this evening, rear, all but one bolt sheared that's after a few days of WD40/3in1 front was a breeze though, getting the bar out of it's home is a real pig though.

FLEXING
        cal
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
          Ahem, yeah, that comment was me. Sorry!
          Which bolts snapped off? Have you sprayed it with any penetrating fluid at all? If not I'd do that every so often for a day or two and then try again.
          Thanks,
          Ray.
          Yep, once in the morning and again in the evening for four days and the bolt that went was one of the main stabilizer bolts that bolt the big "D" bushes in. Not even sure the links are the right ones for mine as they have different size nuts fitted to both left and right sides, very odd.

Ahhhhhhh the joys of owning a surf.
          It's all good fun, things like this just make it a little more errrrr...... interesting shall we say . It's off the road for now anyway as the MOT is due next week and I won't be able to get back on it till Monday/Tuesday now.

Finished removing my'n this evening, rear, all but one bolt sheared that's after a few days of WD40/3in1 front was a breeze though, getting the bar out of it's home is a real pig though.
          How much of a pig are we talking here?? Got to try and get it back in yet (once it's eventually out lol), I can see me borrowing Mr. Grinder soon .
          Neal

Comment

Snapping the bolts in the brackets on the axle are a ###### nuisance, gets awkward trying to drill them out as the captive nuts on the back of brackets need chiselled off too.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              Snapping the bolts in the brackets on the axle are a ###### nuisance, gets awkward trying to drill them out as the captive nuts on the back of brackets need chiselled off too.
              That sounds like someone that's "been there, done that" , the captive nut on mine is on the bracket so I'm hoping i can get it off and put it on the table (living room table that is ) to drill out, the missis will love this one .
              Neal

Comment

eh? the bracket is welded to the axle with the captive nut on the back, the arb bush bracket hooks into this and the bolt goes through to pick up the captive nut.
                Alan

Comment

eh? the bracket is welded to the axle with the captive nut on the back, the arb bush bracket hooks into this and the bolt goes through to pick up the captive nut.
                  I must have a slightly different setup then I guess, the bracket on mine has bolts front and back (either side of the "D" bush) and both fit to a plate on the axle (both 12mm).
                  If I can, I'll take a pic in the morning, might explain things a bit better then. The way it reads, I may not be getting this across too well.
                  Neal

Comment

bugger, just realised your a hairdresser!

3rd gen.

I described the 2nd gen brackets.
                    Alan

Comment

tis a 3 gen thing
                      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

bugger, just realised your a hairdresser!

3rd gen.

I described the 2nd gen brackets.
                        Yup, I'm afraid the tongs failed me today .
                        Neal

Comment

All sorted, bleedin ages to remove it but about 20 mins to replace once it was all sorted and cleaned up etc etc.
                          Attached Files
                          Neal

Comment

Replaced with
                            Attached Files
                            Neal

Comment

Perfect mate just saved yourself a heap of cash by doing it yourself.

Once you get a few of these maintance jobs under your belt there will be na stopping you.

Did you see the 3rd gen workshop manual that Vince put up.
                              Very handy for us modern Surfers.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X