please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help

: Hello had my surf now for three weeks love it but just need a few questions answerd what does the over drive switch do and also when i was driving it the other day my husband was following behind said that smoke was coming out seemed to be when it changed gear does anyone no if this is normal or also has this problem.

thanks claire

Originally posted by claire
    : Hello had my surf now for three weeks love it but just need a few questions answerd what does the over drive switch do and also when i was driving it the other day my husband was following behind said that smoke was coming out seemed to be when it changed gear does anyone no if this is normal or also has this problem.

thanks claire
    The over drive question is asked and covered often. Try searching the forums for the answers.

I'll start you off here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ighlight=o%2Fd
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ighlight=o%2Fd
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ighlight=o%2Fd
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi there,over drive will reduce the revs of the engine,as on motorways etc this should put less strain on the engin and give
      you better MPG.Try it say at a steady 50 then switch on the over drive you should see the rev counter drop.
      Smoke as long as it is a small black and not blue there is no
      problem as long as the car is diesel and not petrol.
      Cheers Chris 2.4 td ssx
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Overdrive is a gear !!!! its like your 5th gear on a car. its not a sports mode
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

please help

thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Overdrive is a gear !!!! its like your 5th gear on a car. its not a sports mode
            Hi All,

I've read that having overdrive on whilst doing 40MPH or less can - over time - cause damage (not sure if it's to the engine or gearbox).

Does anyone know if this is right?

Matt.
            Matt.

1995 blue/chrome SSR-x 3.0TD

Comment

Originally posted by M16TTW
              Hi All,

I've read that having overdrive on whilst doing 40MPH or less can - over time - cause damage (not sure if it's to the engine or gearbox).

Does anyone know if this is right?

Matt.
              This is not correct. The normal mode for the gearbox is to have overdrive switched on (no light on dash) at all speeds. It can be switched off to assist under certain conditions, some prefer to keep it switched off around town etc.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
              X