body lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body lift

hi all thinking about doing a b/lift and would like your opinions on what kit i should go for .
    this one
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    or this one from milner off road at £60 which is only 1.5 ins .
    are there any problems that you would get doing a 2ins as opposed to a 1.5ins and will alloy spacers be better that the rubber (ithink) ones from the cheeper kit.and no one seemes to do the bummpoer/rad brackets .
    Last edited by steve s; 31 May 2010, 11:29.

You've only listed one <edit - well edited! ), but it looks fine. There's no complexity to it so as long as suitable materials have been used (and they have from what the description says) it'll be fine. The spacers aren't rubber, they're an engineering plastic.

If you can file and drill, you can make a couple of bumper brackets in 10 minutes - thats probably why no-one supplies them in the kit.
    Last edited by Apache; 31 May 2010, 11:33.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      You've only listed one <edit - well edited! ), but it looks fine. There's no complexity to it so as long as suitable materials have been used (and they have from what the description says) it'll be fine. The spacers aren't rubber, they're an engineering plastic.

If you can file and drill, you can make a couple of bumper brackets in 10 minutes - thats probably why no-one supplies them in the kit.
      and would that be the same for the rad brackets .and theres no differanse doing a 1.5 from a 2.ins then

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
        and would that be the same for the rad brackets .and theres no differanse doing a 1.5 from a 2.ins then
        just unclip and remove lower part of rad cowling for quick fix, thats what i did
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
          just unclip and remove lower part of rad cowling for quick fix, thats what i did
          but i have a 2.4 so i need to drop the rad (i think )

Comment

Hi Steve how are you doing, everything is all good I hope.

As far as the body lift goes, you shouldn't have any problems just remember to undo the 3 bolts on the steering column, 2 under the bonnet and 1 under the dash, apart from that, as far as the rad goes, when you have done that, have a look and see if you do need to move the rad, if you don't the job's a goodun, that just leaves your bumper

sorry I don't have the winch anymore.
            Last edited by evildwarf; 31 May 2010, 11:56.
            I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

hi andy long time mate your truck looks great as for mine how will i know if the rad needs dropping ?
              and got my first small patch of rust on the back bumper so thinking of removing it and the tow bar permanently want more ground clearance but still not 100% sure if i could live with it like that so its great to see yours .do i dont i that is the question
              Last edited by steve s; 31 May 2010, 12:14.

Comment

The radiator needs to be dropped on a 2.4, it's not optional.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by evildwarf View Post
                  Hi Steve how are you doing, everything is all good I hope.

As far as the body lift goes, you shouldn't have any problems just remember to undo the 3 bolts on the steering column, 2 under the bonnet and 1 under the dash, apart from that, as far as the rad goes, when you have done that, have a look and see if you do need to move the rad, if you don't the job's a goodun, that just leaves your bumper

sorry I don't have the winch anymore.
                  steering column bolts? on my 3.0 all i did was undo a bolt halfway along the steering rod open up the slide joint about an inch then bolt it back up, have i done wrong?

Comment

steering column bolts? on my 3.0 all i did was undo a bolt halfway along the steering rod open up the slide joint about an inch then bolt it back up, have i done wrong?
                    You've certainly done it differently from everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      You've certainly done it differently from everyone else.
                      thats not unusual for me

BTW
                      what should i have done, so i can go and do it proply

Comment

1.5" is easier on all the steering adjustment and t/case lever hole. But there isn't much in it.

I'd go with the smaller on if poss, as you always want to be lifting it as little as poss, as a body lift raises your enter of gravity, without upgrading the shocks and springs to allow for the extra roll round corners.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thats not unusual for me

BTW
                          what should i have done, so i can go and do it proply
                          Slackening them all will spread the extension, rather than having it all in the one place. I'm not sure how much of the 'adjustment' in the one place is unsafe though. It may be OK, Tony is better placed to answer this than I am.

Comment

On my steering column the center bolt, if you check where it goes through it has a ridge cut out and if you adjust it too much you can't get your bolt back in, the one under the steering column has a flat side and you are able to adjust this about an 1.5", if you don't adjust it, it will blow the seal on the steering box.
                            I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evildwarf View Post
                              On my steering column the center bolt, if you check where it goes through it has a ridge cut out and if you adjust it too much you can't get your bolt back in, the one under the steering column has a flat side and you are able to adjust this about an 1.5", if you don't adjust it, it will blow the seal on the steering box.
                              thanks for that, i will go and have a look at it and do the job proply this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X