Best way to remove starter motor KZN185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove starter motor KZN185

I need to repair the starter motor on my vehicle but getting it out seems to be a major issue. Some have suggested removing the whole near side wing while others have suggested removing the wheel and then some sort of rear most inner wing closing plastic plate held on by 3 clips.
    I have just had to spend £40 on a mechanic to replace the starter motor on our Volvo 440 so would really like to try and repair the starter on the truck myself.
    Are there ant tutorials around perhaps with pictures or video?
    Please can I have some suggesrtions on the best way to remove the starter motor? I can get the kit from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290409323722 for £13.50. Thanks.

Ignore me, I didn't read it properly!
    I'm not sure on a 3.0L I'm afraid!

Ray.
    Last edited by lord_flashart; 27 May 2010, 16:25.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

1. Detach the battery earth cable and raise the front of the truck, detach the electrical connectors from the starter solenoid.
      2. Loosen the starter motor mounting bolts, support starter motor and remove the bolts. Move the starter motor forwards, then withdraw from under the vehicle.

Taken from the manual, not done this myself so may sound easy and all that.
      Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
        1. Detach the battery earth cable and raise the front of the truck, detach the electrical connectors from the starter solenoid.
        2. Loosen the starter motor mounting bolts, support starter motor and remove the bolts. Move the starter motor forwards, then withdraw from under the vehicle.

Taken from the manual, not done this myself so may sound easy and all that.
        Reading the above makes it sound as if there is no need to remove the wing or anything around it.

Comment

id be very surprised if the wing 'needed' to be removed in order to remove/refit the starter motor.

it was tight getting the old one out of my 2.4 but came out none the less without removing any body parts.

Comment

I think the wing off job is 2nd gen teritory but don't quote me on that, as I said, I've not had to do this job as yet, that was simply quoted from the manual and it doesn't mention anything about removing the wing.
            Someone who has done this will be along to confirm one way or the other I'm sure.
            Neal

Comment

do a serch, there are loads of write ups and links to other websites. search for other posts by me I know i have put a few links up before

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
                do a serch, there are loads of write ups and links to other websites. search for other posts by me I know i have put a few links up before
                I can find loads of links for the KZN130 and others, but none really for the KZN185 motor which I am told is different to remove to the others although the starter itself is the same.

Comment

I cant see why it would be any different to the KZN130. Its the same block innit?

If so, it's accessible through the wheel arch after lifting / taking off the wee plastic flap that hangs down. Take the wheel off to give a bit more room. I'd did my last one through the arch, but the one before from underneath. Neither are that difficult, though the bolt furthest from you is a bit of a PITA to get at.

I *might* be free for some of Sunday (depends if it rains on Saturday and stops me doing what I need to do) to give you a hand if you haven't got it off by then, and as I said before I'm happy to service the starter for you if you've got the bits as I've done several of them.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    I cant see why it would be any different to the KZN130. Its the same block innit?

If so, it's accessible through the wheel arch after lifting / taking off the wee plastic flap that hangs down. Take the wheel off to give a bit more room. I'd did my last one through the arch, but the one before from underneath. Neither are that difficult, though the bolt furthest from you is a bit of a PITA to get at.

I *might* be free for some of Sunday (depends if it rains on Saturday and stops me doing what I need to do) to give you a hand if you haven't got it off by then, and as I said before I'm happy to service the starter for you if you've got the bits as I've done several of them.
                    Thanks. I got the impression that the whole wing had to come off. Duh! I have ordered a starter motor kit and hopefully it will be with us today or tomorrow. I will update you as soon as I get it. Again many thanks.

Comment

If its just the copper contacts that need to be replaced in the starter motor I managed without removing it from the engine bay.

My thread is here

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

I have received the parts and sent you a PM. Thanks

Comment

Eventually got the parts replaced and no more starting issues, touch wood!

Comment

That didn't take long. H

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X