Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my head cracked?

Looks like my warped disk may be the least of my worries

Is there any reason other than a cracked head that my engine should have started pushing coolant out the expansion bottle???

Its not over heating but when on the auto route driving up a long drag I'm getting a coolant smell inside,and when I arrived at work and at home this evening she had pumped out a few litres.
    I've prepared myself for the worst anyway so any glimmer of hope wold be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

the only way for sure to determine if the head has gone is to do a block sniffer test.could be head gasket,but very unlikely.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

iam not sure but it could be ya need a new rad cap
      it stoped mine i think i dint run it for long after i changed it
      but i dint notice it doing it again
      i get the info from here
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
        Looks like my warped disk may be the least of my worries

Is there any reason other than a cracked head that my engine should have started pushing coolant out the expansion bottle???

Its not over heating but when on the auto route driving up a long drag I'm getting a coolant smell inside,and when I arrived at work and at home this evening she had pumped out a few litres.
        I've prepared myself for the worst anyway so any glimmer of hope wold be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
        Have you taken off the oil filler cap to check for the milky deposits on it & top of head? (Milky deposits indicate coolant in oil system but may only be head gasket.)
        You may have a blockage somewhere in coolant system.
        Otherwise, the other guys who answered you may well be right. i.e. rad cap &/or need a head sniffer test.

(If what I've suggested is not accurate, be assured it will be corrected by a member on here.)

Unless I've completely miss understood you & what you really need to do is go to the hospital pronto! They should be able to tell you if your head is cracked!
        Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 25 May 2010, 20:02.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY View Post
          Have you taken off the oil filler cap to check for the milky deposits on it & top of head? (Milky deposits indicate coolant in oil system but may only be head gasket.)
          You may have a blockage somewhere in coolant system.
          Otherwise, the other guys who answered you may well be right. i.e. rad cap &/or need a head sniffer test.

(If what I've suggested is not accurate, be assured it will be corrected by a member on here.)
          Yes I've checked the oil cap and its clean,well black!!
          but no emulsification. I've flushed through the system this evening and chucked the thermostat in a sauce pan of boiling water( not very scietific I know),and its opening up OK.

I'll probably start with the rad cap and go from there!!

Comment

Any oil in your water?

If not then I would go for rad cap and make sure you don't have an air lock in your system, make sure you have the heater on also including the rear.

Good Luck
            If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

When my head cracked it was blowing a bit of white cloud out of the exhaust.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Justbrad View Post
                Any oil in your water?
                make sure you have the heater on also including the rear.
                Rear heater?? Don't think the pauper UK models were sold with them
                Both the oil and water are clean of each other.

Bit of an update: Drove 160 miles today to work and back,temperature gauge was steady as a rock,and I've lost no water at all!! I just don't get it,how can an engine be pumping out coolant one day ,and not the next on the same journey?? The only difference today is the ambient air temp is cooler!!!

My glimmer of hope here is when starting from cold,all Iget is a small puff of black smoke,and never white.

Thanks to all for the responses,if I need to spend a lump of dosh on this engine don't think my wife is going to be too chuffed,after my spending on my Range Rover last year

Regards
                Mark

Comment

Mine had a stuck closed stat, flushed the system, changed the stat and have driven it for four months without any contamination in water or oil, no pressurization of the expansion tank and basically went from losing a little water to about a pint or so a day. It locked up on me last week so I decided to give it a thorough going over, took the head off and "voila" its shafted, cracks easily visable between 4-3-2, oh, and my temp guage has never been above half way in the three years I've had the truck.

Will be fitting an aftermarket guage, tranny oil cooler, a lower temp thermostat, disconnect/bypass the rear heater and possibly an intercooler before I go far on the new head, all my cooling system components appear in tip top condition, I service this crate without fail every 5000 kilometers and basically it only gets road use apart from muddy fields where I park the caravan, which has only been on the back twice, 60 miles to site and a further 20 to another as I wasn't happy with the last one.

If it hasn't cracked, it will, unless you take as many precautions as nessessary to try to prevent it. Only 84000 miles on the clock too, I'm not a happy bunny. Hazzo

Comment

Don't bother with the oil in water / water in oil thing. That never seems to happen. If it's not the head, it's possibly the rad cap not releasing pressure. Change that before you get into a panic.

Comment

Thanks Sancho

Yes I will change the Rap cap, ones on its way,but I've had the cracked head experience with a 2.4 Hi-ace,so I think I will start putting some money away for when it needs replacing!

Regards
                      Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X