AAAAHHHHH Decisions, Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAAHHHHH Decisions, Decisions

I can't deny it, Twas me snooping round yr Surf !!! and my Partner is being driven mad with my going on and on about Em, But I'm also racked with indicision about letting go of the most reliable car (mk2 golf) i've ever had
    and taking a leap into the Dark. I ideally want to spend around 4500 on one
    but what should i go for, The 2.4's seem to occasionally have Heating problems and have been described as 'Lacking Grunt' but i guess more affordable to run that the 3.0 Lt's. Also for my sort of money how old a model am i looking at and what would be an acceptable mileage, I'd appreciate if any of you Guy's and Gal's out there could enlighten me further. Also whats best, From a dealer or a Member.

Cheers
    Gazman

Originally posted by wannabesurfer
    I can't deny it, Twas me snooping round yr Surf !!! and my Partner is being driven mad with my going on and on about Em, But I'm also racked with indicision about letting go of the most reliable car (mk2 golf) i've ever had
    and taking a leap into the Dark. I ideally want to spend around 4500 on one
    but what should i go for, The 2.4's seem to occasionally have Heating problems and have been described as 'Lacking Grunt' but i guess more affordable to run that the 3.0 Lt's. Also for my sort of money how old a model am i looking at and what would be an acceptable mileage, I'd appreciate if any of you Guy's and Gal's out there could enlighten me further. Also whats best, From a dealer or a Member.

Cheers
    Gazman
    £4500 will see a 2.4 ssrx or G around k plate depending on deasler prices etc, for around £5500 you should be looking to pick up an L 3.0 ssrx. As said it depends on dealer, location etc. MPG will not see a great difference between the two engines, I have both and the difference is not worth worrying about.
    True the 3.0 will afford a little more grunt, but iif its all around town in traffic you won't really get to feel the difference. Longer journeys yes it cruises a little more effortlessly than the 2.4, that said my 2.4 will sit at 80ish no problem.
    If you go for the 2.4 buy from someone off here, there will be good history of their ownership, any head problems that may have arose will have been sorted and you would like to think you will buy peace of mind from a fellow member. Just remember if anyone claims the head has been done see receipts to prove it and that it was a NEW head. If its a dealer then make sure the warranty covers the head etc, buying private may save you a few quid so if the worse happens you can put the savings towards repairs.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I'll second what Koi says, having bought a 2.4 myself and had the head go i would recommend that you look on here for a private sale of one that has had the head done, that way you can have peace of mind over it. Now the head is done on mine it is the best motor i have had so far, it does everything you ask of it(except cruise at 100mph+). driving at 85 is not too bad but wouldnt reccomend much quicker for sustained periods.
      Oh and no mine isnt for sale LOL
      Good luck with finding one
      Ed
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Cheers for the info guys i kinda thought a 2.4 would be better for my needs,
        i seldom travel great distances perhaps 150 mls every couple of months with most of my driving being done in Suburbia ?. I also dont feel comfortable with plus 85 mph. So again a 2.4 seems fine, My grunt point being that do they overtake satisfactorily at normal speeds. I think I'll also buy from some one
        who uses the Site, I'm not a great fan of dealers as i have known a couple
        via friends of friends and Messrs Bodgit and leggit spring to mind !!!.

With regard to Head problems, Would it be perfectly normal if a Seller
        said that they had never had overheating problems, As i've seen when looking at other areas of the site that Flushing with Rad flushing products and even domestic radiator products has aliviated the root causes of these problems..

Last thing, Promise !!! Insurance. So far i have had a quote from Adrian Flux which was comparable with my Golf GTI could you suggest any other companys that insure Surfs..

Cheers
        Gazman

Comment

To ease your mind ive had my 2.4 for 15 months now & not had any complaints from her i do over 500 miles a week and she's fine
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Cheers for the info guys i kinda thought a 2.4 would be better for my needs,
            i seldom travel great distances perhaps 150 mls every couple of months with most of my driving being done in Suburbia ?. I also dont feel comfortable with plus 85 mph. So again a 2.4 seems fine, My grunt point being that do they overtake satisfactorily at normal speeds. I think I'll also buy from some one
            who uses the Site, I'm not a great fan of dealers as i have known a couple
            via friends of friends and Messrs Bodgit and leggit spring to mind !!!.

With regard to Head problems, Would it be perfectly normal if a Seller
            said that they had never had overheating problems, As i've seen when looking at other areas of the site that Flushing with Rad flushing products and even domestic radiator products has aliviated the root causes of these problems..

Last thing, Promise !!! Insurance. So far i have had a quote from Adrian Flux which was comparable with my Golf GTI could you suggest any other companys that insure Surfs..

Cheers
            Gazman
            Overtaking in a two ton motor is never going to be swift even in the 3.0, its down to timing and a good stretch of road. If you have the momentum and the opportunity arises on a good straight you will breeze past but if you need to pull out and floor it in a short space then you will find it harder to do so, as said even the 3.0 will find it difficult to do, all though it will do it a bit easier.
            If someone says they have never had haed/over heating problems, mmmmmm difficult one this. I would say if they have had the motor less than a year then it doesn't mean it won't. Most that seem to suffer do so in the first year
            mine went one week short of a year. So if they have had the motor longer than a year I would say if it was going to happen it would have by then. This is by no means a hard and fast rule just an observation on this problem.
            Fo insurance companies see the thread under FAQ about insurance, loads listed on it.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Cheers
              Gazman
              Try having a look in the FAQ section I think theres a long list to try in there
              Last edited by jotto; 20 June 2004, 22:53.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Thanks again guys, These motor's must be something special to have such dedicated Enthusiasts (yuk i know, but ya made me all kinda slushy) and so without further ado of he disappears into the sunlight, Or should i say Surfs for sale section.......

Comment

Working...
                X