@ Breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Breakers

Im a bit short on funds, (not a good start to a thread i know!!)
    and my front brakes need replacing desperatly.

best price ive found is £54 (give or take) on roughtrax, + delivery + vat. works out to about £90.

what would charge for a decent set of 2nd hand discs n pads?

Or is not advisable to fit 2nd hand brake parts? I dont know the answer to this question, so please be kind!!

Thanks.
    Keep On Truckin!

Originally posted by yogigypsy View Post
    Im a bit short on funds, (not a good start to a thread i know!!)
    and my front brakes need replacing desperatly.

best price ive found is £54 (give or take) on roughtrax, + delivery + vat. works out to about £90.

what would charge for a decent set of 2nd hand discs n pads?

Or is not advisable to fit 2nd hand brake parts? I dont know the answer to this question, so please be kind!!

Thanks.

if they are not worn then it may be ok. but only from someone you trust.
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Second hand brake pads...not a great idea.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

why do you think you need new discs mate? can you get away with just the pads?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          I'd 2nd that comment and personally wouldn't use 2nd hand disc's either, they could turn out to be just as bad or worse than originals.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            was going to get discs aswell as pads, hopefully from the same vehicle, as I know they wear together.

Originally posted by charvell View Post
            why do you think you need new discs mate? can you get away with just the pads?
            my discs are very thin, they only have about 45% "shiny metal" surface, the rest is corroded, and the pads are worn right down.

Had to really brake hard on the motorway and I think what brakes I did have, I no longer have, as now when I brake, the entire of the front end grumbles when I come to a stop or slow down, you can feel it right through the truck, its very hard to describe, apart from that it drives fine, it only happems when I brake.

Any Ideas???

Originally posted by Growler View Post
            I'd 2nd that comment and personally wouldn't use 2nd hand disc's either, they could turn out to be just as bad or worse than originals.
            I wasnt to sure on the matter, but having two opinions against 2nd hand brake components my mind is made up!!

Not looking forward to fitting them, as I dont have all the tools, but a local 4x4 garage has qouted me aprox £60 a side to fit them for me, so I think it is going to him!!
            Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Originally posted by yogigypsy View Post

Not looking forward to fitting them, as I dont have all the tools, but a local 4x4 garage has qouted me aprox £60 a side to fit them for me, so I think it is going to him!!
              You can always bring it over to mine and i'll talk you through it. You will be doing all the work as I am currently incapacitated but have the kit to do the job

Comment

Second hand anything that could kill you or someone else if it fails, is not a great idea.

Sometimes I despair, I really do!
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Just you wait 'til Albannach sees this thread, he'll smack your legs!

EDIT: too late.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Just you wait 'til Albannach sees this thread, he'll smack your legs!
                    Too late...
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

You can always bring it over to mine and i'll talk you through it. You will be doing all the work as I am currently incapacitated but have the kit to do the job
                      Thats brilliant mate, It would only cost me a bit of fuel, rather than a minimum of £120 for labour! And of course a few beers you! your not a million miles away from me neither.

Whens best for you? I havent ordered the parts yet but I shall be doing so this weekend (from roughtrax), and im off work next, but monday thurs fri and sat i have plans (its my 1st wedding aniverseary, suprised i made it this far!) so depending on when the parts get here I could do tues or wed? Bet it will only take a few hours to do.

It will be nice for a fellow surfer to cast an eye over my truck and give an opinion on what work has been done to it

Im begining to feel "part" of the surf family now, its not everyday someone offers to help someone out having only spole on a forum.

I really do apriciate your offer Andy, thanks.
                      Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Currently off work, so as i say will only be providing commentry whilst you get dirty

Either day above will suit me fine and give me something else to think about for a change

If your going with new discs as well pick up some Brake Cleaner to help remove the protective grease from the new disc's Here
                        Last edited by Growler; 22 May 2010, 15:11.

Comment

Currently off work, so as i say will only be providing commentry whilst you get dirty

Either day above will suit me fine and give me something else to think about for a change

If your going with new discs as well pick up some Brake Cleaner to help remove the protective grease from the new disc's Here

PM sent Andy.

Will pick up some break cleaner and copper grease from my local parts place.

I Dont mind doin all the work mate, at least this way I shall learn the whole process. I used to fit tyres/brakes/suspension/exhausts to cars about 5years ago so I am somewhat mechanically minded, but I havent a clue what to do with the truck, this will be the first mechanical job I have had to do on her.

Speak to you tomorow Andy.

Richard.
                          Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Working...
                          X