Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative off-roader and trailer

Hi all
    I am hoping the wealth of help and experience on here can help me!!! i am looking round for an off roader as i dont want to ruin my surf but do want to do some more serious off roading, (the surf is our only family car) i have been offered a 2.5l 109" landrover pickup thingy for £150. It has been driven for me by a mate of mine who has looked at it and it starts on the button and drives, it will need 2 new spring hangers and an outrigger replaced so can anyone tell me if this is cheap/ simple to do????????
    Also does anyone know of a cheap 4 wheel trailer for sale as i think it will need a strong trailer to take its weight!!!!!!
    Will a 109" landy be good for offroading?????? it already has off road tyres on it as for the last year it has been used for lamping.
    OK bring on the abuse about landrovers
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Smurf
    Hi all
    I am hoping the wealth of help and experience on here can help me!!! i am looking round for an off roader as i dont want to ruin my surf but do want to do some more serious off roading, (the surf is our only family car) i have been offered a 2.5l 109" landrover pickup thingy for £150. It has been driven for me by a mate of mine who has looked at it and it starts on the button and drives, it will need 2 new spring hangers and an outrigger replaced so can anyone tell me if this is cheap/ simple to do????????
    Also does anyone know of a cheap 4 wheel trailer for sale as i think it will need a strong trailer to take its weight!!!!!!
    Will a 109" landy be good for offroading?????? it already has off road tyres on it as for the last year it has been used for lamping.
    Until i bought my surf i had been off roading landies for years. A series 2 or 3 109" will be ok but an 88" would be better. The 109 is a perfectly capable beast but the extra wheelbase means it will belly out on a ridge easier than the 88" and also the 88" has the wheels more or less one on each corner, the extra length on the 109" has a greater overhang at the rear, a point worth remembering when dropping into a pothole. Also, the 109`s fuel tank is a bit susceptible as it is right at the rear of the chassis. Having said all that, either model will be suitable. Spring hangers and outriggers are very cheap and if you know someone to do the welding for you, even better. Best place for cheap parts is Paddock Motors, they have a good web site. One thing you can do with a landie that you can`t with a surf - bounce it off trees to get round tight spots, it won`t look a lot different afterwards!!
    Hope all my waffling helps.(Just got back from the pub)

Ken.
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf
      Hi all
      Landrovers!!!!!!!!! That's out of the way now. The big questions are:

Will the combined weight of the landy and the trailer be more than the Surf can legally tow?

Can you stand being in the basement with all us Suzi owners?

Please bring some light bulbs. It's dark down there!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

I would bobtail it (Tony get your grinder ) , strip out anything that is not needed ie door cards , carpet , rear seats , headlining . This will reduce the tow weight a bit but by cutting off the rear legs a bit will reduce the overhang for exting potholes etc.

When me and Jotto built our Suzi , we gutted it and left the bare minimum in it , except the elastic band to drive it .

I first off roaded in a Landie , good motor (sorry Surfers)

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers guys
          I was intending to remove anything that wasnt essential and the if i get this particular one the back end will be getting the overhang chopped!!!! have just found a few ads for 88" ones going cheap so may have a look. What is the legal limit to tow behind a surf???? surely as long as it doesnt exceed 3.5 tons total it is OK??????
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Vagrant No2]I would bobtail it (Tony get your grinder ) , strip out anything that is not needed ie door cards , carpet , rear seats , headlining .

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha..... carpets? door cards? headlining?????? These are luxuries you will definately NOT find in a 109'.

My 1st offroader was a 109' hardtop, real good fun, I figured that nothing could be as basic until that is I went and bought my second offroader which was a Land Rover lightwieght!! To me, that's the beauty of series Lannies, and they actualy look better with some bent panels!

Damian, (I'll get mi coat now!)
            Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

[QUOTE=Damian]
              Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              I would bobtail it (Tony get your grinder ) , strip out anything that is not needed ie door cards , carpet , rear seats , headlining .

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha..... carpets? door cards? headlining?????? These are luxuries you will definately NOT find in a 109'.

My 1st offroader was a 109' hardtop, real good fun, I figured that nothing could be as basic until that is I went and bought my second offroader which was a Land Rover lightwieght!! To me, that's the beauty of series Lannies, and they actualy look better with some bent panels!

Damian, (I'll get mi coat now!)
              I know exactly what you mean, my last landie was a lightweight (one of my favourites). The more abuse you gave it, the better it liked it. Won`t keep on though - this is supposed to be a surf site.
              God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

Working...
              X