level gearbox oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• level gearbox oil

hi ive got a 3rd gen kzn 185 autocould some 1 help and tell me when i should check my oil hot or cold ,while running and what should it be showing on dip stick and where on dip stick if cold or hot thx

Engine at normal operating temperature, (just after a run) level ground, engine running, fluid level should be halfway in the hot zone.

Comment

In a similar vein ...

I checked my gearbox oil level yesterday (Hot and I ran through all the gears immediately before measuring) and one side of the dipstick showed the level a fraction below the low level and the other had oil smeared above the high level. Does anybody know for certain if this means it's high or low ?

And before anybody says it the truck was parked straight and level

If the level was a bit low what effect would it have on gear changes ?

By my calculations we have another 17 posts before the stupidity can start !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

In a similar vein ...

I checked my gearbox oil level yesterday (Hot and I ran through all the gears immediately before measuring) and one side of the dipstick showed the level a fraction below the low level and the other had oil smeared above the high level. Does anybody know for certain if this means it's high or low ?

And before anybody says it the truck was parked straight and level

If the level was a bit low what effect would it have on gear changes ?

By my calculations we have another 17 posts before the stupidity can start !

spoilsport..
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Go with the low level, one side picks up oil of the tube as it goes round the bend.

Logically, oil can't disappear completely from the dipstick, you'd still see remains on it, but can get smeared around, so the low level is the accurate one.

Try twisting the dipstick 180deg and stick it in, see if it does the same but on opposite side.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony !

And now the supplementary question - if the level's a bit low how is it likely to manifest itself while towing 1500kg of tin tent ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
            X