Miles or Kilometres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles or Kilometres

Just been at looked at a 3.0 from a dealer who advertised it as having done 85,000 miles. On the clock it said 183519. The speedo as you are all aware had MPH around the outside and KPH on the inside. In my experience that means the reading would be in miles not kilometres. Is it different on the surfs? Even so if it had done 183519 km then the mileage is 114,000 ish not 85,000 as stated which I did point out to him, but he was having none of it, so I walked away. However having looked at one properly and driven it I now want one more than ever

it has probably just got the mph face put on.The km's reading actually comes out at approx 114000 miles and not the 85000 the dealer has stated.If the truck runs ok and looks ok then make sure the cam belt has been done and a full service.If the price is right then buy it after haggling the price down because of it being higher milage than stated,
    If you want to work it out your self then multiply the 183519 by 0.6214 and that will give you the amount of km's in miles
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Perhaps it's a bit more complicated than that ...

Could it be that it did 98519 km and was then converted to miles and since then it's done 85000 miles ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Maybe it's possible? I don't know, could have done 85000 miles since imported in 2005 when it had speedo changed? However the mileage or whatever the numbers were, are as I said 183519, the speedo was definitely reading in MPH. And he told me that 183519 was the equivalent of 85000 miles, I pointed out to him it was more like 114000, either way I won't be going back!

Comment

On my old one, the speedo had mph on the outside of the dial and kph on the inside but the odometer was still in kilometres if that's any use?

Comment

I suppose the bottom line is whether it reads or is in mph or kph, 183519 is not 85,000 miles as stated in the advert! So what else might not add up? The upside is I've seen one close up, had a really good look at it and driven it and I really, really want one. How would you know if the reading was in mph or kph for future reference?

Comment

Originally posted by robsonmark View Post
              I suppose the bottom line is whether it reads or is in mph or kph, 183519 is not 85,000 miles as stated in the advert! So what else might not add up? The upside is I've seen one close up, had a really good look at it and driven it and I really, really want one. How would you know if the reading was in mph or kph for future reference?
              HI, for what it's worth, I bought my Surf in the middle of this year's snow and I decided to ignore the 'apparent' 170,000 miles and just take the B out .... I loved it, and I bought it! Then I found out that the readout is in kilometres so ok the mpg went down by 5/8 but then so did the miles to ~108,000 ... all in all, a bit of a bonus.

We know the dealers a prat .... stands to reason The real question is, what are the details of the vehicle you looking at and how much?? Post the info in this forum and see if we can sway you one way or tother (but bear in mind, its your decision in the end)........

Comment

I used a sat nav to work mine out, tells you how far you travelled on sat nav and compare it to the odometer. Could take a sat nav when you go for a test drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelicanbill View Post
                  HI, for what it's worth, I bought my Surf in the middle of this year's snow and I decided to ignore the 'apparent' 170,000 miles and just take the B out .... I loved it, and I bought it! Then I found out that the readout is in kilometres so ok the mpg went down by 5/8 but then so did the miles to ~108,000 ... all in all, a bit of a bonus.

We know the dealers a prat .... stands to reason The real question is, what are the details of the vehicle you looking at and how much?? Post the info in this forum and see if we can sway you one way or tother (but bear in mind, its your decision in the end)........
                  Have to laugh, just looked at the advert and the mileage is now stated at 100,000 which is still roughly 14,000 short of what it should and the price hasn't changed! This guy is either a total prat or a con artist!
                  For the record it's a 1993 on an L, registered in August 2005, SSRX - limited, 183519 km, nice big tyres , looked like fuel and oil filters had recently been changed or wiped!! Car was very clean and tidy and drove really nicely, everything was working. It was advertised at £3495 and still is despite the alteration to the mileage
                  Doubt I'll go back the whole thing has just set alarm bells ringing.
                  Oh well never mind, back to autotrader

Comment

That is a rip off for a 93 2nd gen.You could get 2 trucks for that money or a very good 3rd gen
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Was beginning to think that might be the case, roughly what would you pay for it bearing in mind its a dealer?
                      Seen a 1994 3.0 with 98000 miles for £1895 (private sale) does that sound about right?
                      Last edited by robsonmark; 16 May 2010, 20:38.

Comment

Originally posted by robsonmark View Post
                        Was beginning to think that might be the case, roughly what would you pay for it bearing in mind its a dealer?
                        Seen a 1994 3.0 with 98000 miles for £1895 (private sale) does that sound about right?
                        That doesnt sound unreasonable provided its it in good nick and not "shedlike" You should get a shiny one for that money

Bogus
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                        X