Excessive fuel consumption...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive fuel consumption...

I'm doing mostly motorway miles, no offloading or towing and the boot is empty.

Struggling to get 280 miles from a tank of diesel, which I work out to be 20MPG

I've serviced it, checked tyres, is there anything else I should look at?

In addition to this at times when I fill up there is an escape of air from the fuel tank, like a high pressure whistle

Doesn't sound too different to normal to me if you're bombing around at 70mph+. I get just over 25mpg on the motorway sticking to about 50-60mph.

If you want to reduce costs and still use the surf try using veggie oil.

In terms of maximising what you've got ditch as much excess weight as you can. I'm guessing that since it's just been serviced it'll be alright mechanically.

One thing I've found useful in the past is using Slick50 engine oil additive. Basically it Teflon coats the inside of the engine, reduces friction and in my past experience improves fuel economy. It may improve power or reduce the amount of heat produced by the engine (although I've never noticed any difference when I've used it in the past).

Dunno if anyone else will have any other ideas?

Comment

I did 643 miles yesterday. The A road bit I averaged 16.9 mpg. Out on the motorway I set the cruise control to 100 kmh. On the bit from Dunfermline to Eastbourne (all motorway, bat about 30 miles) I managed 28.6 mpg.
      If you want to do 70mph in these things, expect crap mpg. Keep to 60 and see the difference.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Get some redex in your tank that sounds a bit low to me, I though 3lt's were more economical than a 2.4. I get about 350 miles out of a full tank 60lt. Ive been using svo to top the tank up with on long journeys 40lt dino 15-20 lt veg.

Comment

sounds like your fuel tank breather is blocked,try cleaning the breather.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bonniebanks View Post
            I'm doing mostly motorway miles, no offloading or towing and the boot is empty.

Struggling to get 280 miles from a tank of diesel, which I work out to be 20MPG

I've serviced it, checked tyres, is there anything else I should look at?

In addition to this at times when I fill up there is an escape of air from the fuel tank, like a high pressure whistle

You get how much ........ You Lucky Lucky B******
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

I very rarely take it over 65mph....

Normally sit about the 55-60 mph bracket

I found a place in Glasgow does Bio for 0.92p a litre and it runs fine on it.

My local garage wants £1.22 a litre for diesel (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed you )

I'll try some Redex in the tank.

Where is this breather then ???

Comment

(air breather on top of the tank)
                Here ya go Gordy try this link ...
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...+tank+breather
                Good Luck

Jess

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...