Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Answer I've not seen covered in forum yet

Hi All,

I haven't even bought my Surf yet (gen 2 2.4TD), and like all potential buyers, I'm concerned with the possibility of head trouble. I've found a huge amount of info available either in or through this forum, for which I'm very grateful - it's all of particular use to a prospective buyer.

I've had a look on the Ozzie Surf forum too, where it seem those guys have even more posts on cooling/head problems. That seems to me to stand to reason - hot climate + cooling system of Surfs designed for a cooler climate (Japan) = cooling problems?

I'm in Dublin, where I certainly wouldn't call the climate anywhere near hot, so my question is this:

If I assume, for peace of mind, that the radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump and pressure cap of my Surf are all bunged up/close to death and ready to crack my cylinder head, wouldn't it make sense to buy & fit all of those items new?

Unless I've got it wrong, and they are all reconditioned used parts, www.milneroffroad.com (as one example) stock all the above parts for a total price of £226.50, excluding shipping and new coolant.

Maybe I've missed something on the forum(s) (and if I have, that's fine - I'll crawl back under my newbie rock), but if the only cause of cylinder heads cracking is poor cooling due to blocked cooling system passages, then surely replacing the lot with new (or even reconditioned) items, and then properly maintaining the system thereafter will prevent problems.

Or are there other causes of heads cracking?

I hope I don't come accross smart-arsed - I'm not trying to be. I suppose there wouldn't be so much discussion about this topic if the answer was this easy, but from all I've read, this does seem to be it?
    :

Hi Silvtr1000
    I dont think anyone really knows why the heads crack apart from the fact that there is a known problem with castings on certain year models which was covered by a recall in japan but isnt valid over here. Whilst i can see the logic in your solution and would agree that for the cost it isnt overly expensive and may give some peace of mind, i dont think it will guarantee your head against cracking, if it's gonna go it will do just that.
    If you search the site there is listed somewhere the engine no's that are likely to develop the fault so you can see if yours is a potential problem.
    My advice is drive it, smile, and hope it doesnt go. If it does happen get your wallet out fix it and start smiling all over again........it worked for me!!
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X