4x4s good, caravans bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4s good, caravans bad.

Just to share the excitement of my bank holiday. I was driving up the A12 (dual carriageway) on Saturday and noticed a caravan on the other side suddenly slump over to one side. Then I noticed a wheel bouncing down the road. Then I slowed down a bit. Then I saw the wheel bounce over the central reservation. Then I slowed down a bit more and said a bad word. Then I hit the wheel, when I was still doing about 50.

Once I was safely over in a layby, I took a look. I'm proud to say that, if you're going to hit a bouncing steel wheel at 50mph, I think I did it pretty much perfectly. Having dealt with the police and insurance details, I carried on for another 250 miles to North Yorkshire with not a problem.

It occurred to me though that in a normal car, I would probably be dead and, if not that, someone else probably would be. I was able to drive over it but, in most other vehicles, would either have got it in the face or thrown it up in the air to get someone else. As it was, I emerged with a missing number plate and bit of front bumper, a crack in the plastic trim on the underside and not a mark anywhere else. Not sure what happened behind, but the traffic kept moving.

One thing though. If you own a caravan, please make sure the wheels are properly attached.......

Last edited by Sancho; 3 May 2010, 23:24.

###### hell mate, glad your alright.

I must admit i do check my caravan before & after every trip.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

its unlucky it happened
      but your a lucky bugga your not hurt

well spotted by the way glad your ok dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Was the caravan OK?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Was the caravan OK?
          Who cares?

I asked the police if the people driving were OK and if anyone else got hit, and they said no problems. The poor bloke's going to be gutted when he finds out he managed to hit a £53k merc though....

Comment

Hi guys,

A good few years ago a friend of mine was hit by an
            HGV trailer wheel on the M62/M606 near Bradford.
            The wheel jumped the west bound barrier and went
            thru the windscreen and killed him instantly.
            R.I.P. John Taylor.

Gman.
            If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

sorry to hear that grassman it is realy sad a mans life had to end like that
              just go's to show how lucky sancho was today
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Blimey mate.!!!

Glad it all ended without too much drama.what was the bad word...oh and hail the german taxi.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Whoa that was lucky glad your ok. That happened to my mate Luke, his caravan slumped to one side when his wheel fell off but it ended up in his fridge.
                  monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    Blimey mate.!!!

Glad it all ended without too much drama.what was the bad word...oh and hail the german taxi.
                    'Heil' the German taxi.

The bad word was "f'in hell" (in a sort of amazed tone) when the wheel came off, followed by "oh sh1t" once I saw it bounce over the central reservation.

Comment

Youre lucky! Glad you are okay - could have been much worse

Heil the German TAXI!
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        'Heil' the German taxi.

The bad word was "f'in hell" (in a sort of amazed tone) when the wheel came off, followed by "oh sh1t" once I saw it bounce over the central reservation.
                        then followed by urrrr i did shit
                        Glad it wasn't any worse tho mate and you were able to react in time once seeing whats happened.As said this could of been more serious
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                        X