Overheating Surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Surfs

I am interested to buy a Surf because I like the body design, strength and size - suitable for my work in Tanzania. But I have heard that they overheat easily. In fact the owner of a 2.4TD that I was looking at said her vehicle had that problem, especially when climbing hills (many of those along Great Rift Wall in Tanzania). When I had a mechanic do a compression test it showed all was normal, but he also said that Surfs have that reputation to overheat. Does this just apply to 2.4TD Surfs. Is the 3.0L OK? Any advice on overheating?

Mainly to the 2.4 where there was a design fault on the heads. A 2.4 with a new redesigned head should be fine.
    That said its all down to how they are maintained, coolant system flushed out and refilled correctly. Check rads for signs of leaks and possible blockages, if it overheats on hills then normally I would say theres a blockage in the rad or if its been off road the the fins are blocked with mud not giving good airflow through it.
    3.0 are not as prone as the 2.4 to overheat but once gain a poorly maintained one can give you problems.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Overheating Surfs

Thanks.
      What does a redesigned 2.4 head look like? Can you tell without pulling it off?

Another question: are there non-turbo models for 2.4 and 3.0 (lots of dust in dry season in Tanzania, causing problems with turbos I have been told)

Comment

There is a non turbo 2.8.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Overheating Surfs

Thanks gwh200. I will check out reviews on the 2.8

Comment

welcome dude
            theres the 4runner too same has a surf but uk model 3ltr petrol tho
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...