To Those in the Know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Those in the Know?

If I run my truck without an exhaust box, so it is a straight through system, can I expect any problems? thanks in advance
    I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

jus need plugs for ya ears an the rest of the street

Comment

Expect problems passing an MOT as well!

Comment

The Surf has two boxes as standard I believe. The last one (under the boot) doesn't really do much. It's small and can be removed - you probably wouldnt notice it had gone. The big one under the passenger side would make the noise level increase and you would probably get a little better economy as I understand it is a baffled silencer.

Depending on your MOT tester though they may fail it for not having a "proper exhaust system". Although technically it is legal to drive as long as there are no holes (apart from the one at the end of the pipe )
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Apparently the little one at the back is a resonator box that was only fitted to the 3.0L automatics.

Not sure why but a quick search of Roughtrax's site shows this also.

I guess if you took out the main box it wouldn't be too bad noise-wise, the amount of holes my old exhaust had before I put a stainless one on it was insane! The noise wasn't too bad. MOT will be your main issue.

Thanks,

Ray.
          Last edited by lord_flashart; 25 April 2010, 16:58.
          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

thanks guy's as for the noise i would not know she say's i'm deaf in one ear
            I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

the resonator boxes at the rear of the exhaust were fitted to the 2.4's and 3.0's.
              Its just the aftermarket exhaust that mainly don't have them fitted but someaftermarket ones still do.
              It's not required over here so thats why people don't bother with them
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by evildwarf View Post
                thanks guy's as for the noise i would not know she say's i'm deaf in one ear
                That's happened to me as well. I thought I had a noisy wheel bearing...when the grumbling stopped I realised I'd left her on a service station on he m4.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

most discoverys used for off road have no boxes and are de-cat aswell oh and egr removed, no mot prob and a diesel with no box is not like a petrol that require back pressure so i guess a surf with no boxes would be ok.
                  mine will get de boxed when my middle box goes, which will be soon as its held together with exhaust banding

re noise levels, i cannt see it being a prob unless its a short pipe or a big bore
                  Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                  X