I'm back , but with another building question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back , but with another building question

No PC's or internet for over a week !! Now got main PC back but no laptop wireless yet .
    I need some ideas how I can get concrete from a lorry 35 meters up a driveway to pour it for a slab for a garage base without needing to hire a concrete pump at £400 a day ? I may have the use of a dumper truck to put the concrete in but I need to have a channel drain and reinforcing mesh in the slab which I will need to go over to get to the furthest point at back of garden and work back up the garden towards the lorry . The nearest I can get the lorry to pour is 10 meters. Any ideas?

Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

I did see a home made chute being used once, it was something like water butts cut in half, overlapping eachother sat on a mound of sand on an incline, seemed to work; they may have been modified rubble chutes you see comming down from scaffolding works though., best way I can discribe it.

peace
    cal
    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

when i did mine mate
      i used a few locals and 3 wheel barrows and a small bribe
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

The best way to do this is by barrow or dumper, I would go for six mates with barrows as a dumper is cumbersome and you can't place the concrete as well so means more raking! As for your raindrain and mesh I would leave them till last. Ask yor provider for a high slump on the mix to give you more work time and spreadability. Once you have your pour three quarters in get your precut mesh and walk it in to the concrete you should only need one layer in a 150 mm slab,then screed it off and lastly place your raindrain in and float lt off. If you get a slump of 60 you will have about 40 mins to complete, this is dependent on temp.hope this helps!

Comment

Hmmm, I live 200 miles away from you and my computer unable to connect on the internet via landline!!! Must a long ranging virus! I'm forced to dribble along on my cellular dongle at speed just above walking pace....

Anyway, to your question. Well, I'd go about this completely differently. I'd get all the stuff dropped off as close as possible ... nice delivery driver should get in cement and ballast + mesh nice and close. All you need is a cement mixer + water + humour and your garage base done in a day easy! and all you need to wash down is the mixer ..... If the sight real awkward, make it easier.

I like work. I like the challenges. I hate being bored. So what if you get a few blisters .. enjoy

Comment

line rear of surf with polythene and load with cement, reverse quickly up to area were cement is to go and brake sharply, out comes cement, job done
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Presumably the garage will be for your Surf, so the driveway wil be wide enough for it.
              Just order the concrete in several smaller amounts (smaller mixers) they should be able to reverse up the drive too.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Presumably the garage will be for your Surf, so the driveway wil be wide enough for it.
                Just order the concrete in several smaller amounts (smaller mixers) they should be able to reverse up the drive too.
                There is a block paved area 10m long that they wont drive over incase it breaks . Thats why I need to get the mix past that first 10m then the last 15m to the start of the pour .
                Area to be covered is 6 cubic metre which is 1 full lorry load . Any other amount I will have to pay for empty space and will cost about another third in costs .

Comment

Get the dumper,3 or 4 ton so it fits under the chute of lorry. Will take a cube or 2. Bridge your drainage channel or ramp with sand either side. Drive over mesh Or as said before, vibrate mesh through concrete if its wet enough.
                  www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
                    Get the dumper,3 or 4 ton so it fits under the chute of lorry. Will take a cube or 2. Bridge your drainage channel or ramp with sand either side. Drive over mesh Or as said before, vibrate mesh through concrete if its wet enough.
                    This is wot a couple of lads said to do . Concrete company say they can add fibre to mix so need for mesh . Anyone used fibre instead of wire ??

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                      This is wot a couple of lads said to do . Concrete company say they can add fibre to mix so need for mesh . Anyone used fibre instead of wire ??
                      I was just on a tar job and part of the road had been done with concrete and fibres. The fibres look like 25mm x 2mm shreded plastic. Not sure what the finish would be like for a garage floor as fibres still sit on surface.

The wire/mesh your talking about,are they sheets. 8' x 4' or similar?? You can support them with small bits of concrete ( we call them mars bars at work) to keep mesh off ground. This should help if driving dumper over it.

Or just get some 8x2 timber side by side on each lorry track to help spread the weight on the block paving.

How about the loan of a loadall/telehandler with a 5 to 7 meter reach for an hour,with bucket attached. No need to drive over mesh and easy to place concrete with.??

Or even a 360 track machine. It can sit between conc base and lorry. As long as it can pivot 180 degrees at some point and track back and forth. Thats the way i placed 16 cube for the for founds/ solum of my house.
                      Last edited by smiffy; 25 April 2010, 13:48.
                      www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Blokes with barrows would be my advice. You'll be suprised how quick it goes down with 3 blokes.

Comment

Mr

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                          There is a block paved area 10m long that they wont drive over incase it breaks . Thats why I need to get the mix past that first 10m then the last 15m to the start of the pour .
                          Area to be covered is 6 cubic metre which is 1 full lorry load . Any other amount I will have to pay for empty space and will cost about another third in costs .
                          builders chipboard over the paving should do it
                          I'LL back the ###### cement lorry no problem
                          Enjoying Life after Cancer
                          Pops

Comment

Yes I have used it a few times, it is good stuff but more expensive than bog standard stuff! It is also a bit harder to shift but gives you over 40 Newton strength !

Comment

Update. The guy who levelled the site for me gave me a very reasonable quote to do the complete job, just £200 more then me hiring equipment and labourers to do the job myself , so today he is laying the concrete .

Then I got to erect the 11' x 33' garage to go on it !!

Comment

Working...
                              X