rear window probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window probs

hello again peeps ,this weeks problem with my 2nd gen surf is the rear window,it has started to give me grief.it will go down o.k but is tempremental about going up .the motor was changed around a year ago so i am asuming it is something else.when i put the key in the tailgate and try to raise it there is now just a clicking noise from inside the back .have any of you guys had this problem ?

I had this problem on both Surfs.
    Does it sound like (or feel like) the teeth are slipping on the gears inside?

In brief, the motor connects to a worm gear which turns it's wheel. On this wheel there is a small cog about the size of a 50p piece. This is all contained within "the motor". This motor bolts to the inside of the tailgate over the rear window mechanism. The cog marries up to the window mechanism.

The first time this happened to me the "wheel" which I mentioned above (which is actually a round piece of rubber sandwiched between two pieces of metal) became unstuck from the two metal pieces and had therefore separated from the window mechanism.

If I were you, I would take 30 minutes and remove the motor. You can pop the cover off the motor and look inside to see if it's come unstuck.

IF it's now the gears that have gone, then you may need a new motor and mechanism (like my second Surf). The worst thing to do is to keep opening and closing the window. I wouldn't have needed to buy a mechanism if the previous owner didn't keep opening and closing it.

To remove the motor, there are 3 8mm bolts. Easiest to get at with a ratchet spanner and girlie (small) hands!
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

cheers

cheers mate.it actually sounds like an electrical click but i will take the motor out in work tomorrow and have a look.how long should a new motor last?

Comment

There are relays in there. I've not had a relay fail on me so I don't know how or where they are located.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

A quick google of "rear window relay hiluxsurf" found these threads
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61492
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45459

(I'm getting better at that search thingymajig)
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Try lubricating the window runners with silicone spray to clear out all the crap from years in the open and it will ease the load on the motor spray plenty down them it won't hurt if you have to clean the window after!
            I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Get all the rust of the scissor mechanism and spray them too.
              If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

sticky window

thanks for the advice guys ,aint had a chance to look inside the tailgate yet .sounds like a relay ,was wondering if there was one in there.after freezing my balls of on way to work and hitting the up button about 300 times the window came up.aaaaaarrrrssse

Comment

Originally posted by purplebeard66 View Post
                  thanks for the advice guys ,aint had a chance to look inside the tailgate yet .sounds like a relay ,was wondering if there was one in there.after freezing my balls of on way to work and hitting the up button about 300 times the window came up.aaaaaarrrrssse
                  Did you see the relay threads above?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                  X