@ surfinstien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ surfinstien

Hi mate, just a quick question, Lee (Don Logan) came over today to do the BJ and diff spacers, question is regarding the diff, we didn't think about it till we'd removed the two diff mount bolts and then noticed that you cant lower the diff enough to fit the spacers as it hits the exhaust and the ARB, this is a standard exhaust and his truck is a 2nd gen 3lt, have you had this problem crop up before?
    the bj's went in ok, well after a struggle, woukd have been ok if 1, the bj could have been parted from the controll arm, they would not budge, 2, his inner CV joints wernt f##ked, they have sideway play and the shafts kept popeing out makeing bl00dy hard to hold the lower arm, disc etc in while lineing up the spacers, and 3, my jacking arrangements across the pit shattered bit of a brown stain moment
    Hes gonna get in touch with TonyN about the inner CV's, i'm sure mine didn't rattle about like that,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

the exhaust has the gaurd on it don't it.If so cut it off as i had to do this before i had the s/s system fitted.If i remember righly i think i had to dent the exhaust slightly aswell
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

the inner cvs will move a small amount,but shouldnt be horrifically loose.as for the diff drop kit,i have come across this problem before and it was because a non original down pipe was fitted,it was a cheap pattern one.fortunately for me i have a plasma cutter and a tig welder,so it wasnt a problem and i normaly remove the front arb.oh and a top tip for bj removal,a good sharp blow from a copper/hide hammer on each of the studs normaly does the trick.
      Last edited by surfenstein; 17 April 2010, 18:21.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers, i think the exhaust would have to be well "dented" to accomadate the drop, dunno what astock 3lt exhaust is like so cant comment

i have some "rotational" play on my inner CV's but these are able to wobble about and the shaft kept comeing out, worst on the drivers side and some oil leak on that side, i definatly think they aint right, anyhow BJ's sorted and he'll need to get the alignment done ASAP, toe-in's right out, i ran out of time, if it were here another day i could have prob done the camber and at least got the toe-in ok till it got to the shop,
        i was just worried that the increased angle of the shafts now combined with the inner CV's might do some damage (or god forbid fall apart on his way home)

Comment

There is about 1.5" - 2" of clearance on mine.
          just went out and took some photos of mine
          Attached Files
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

We could only drop the diff about an inch before it hit the exhaust, it'd need either dropping or rerouting, arb no prob, either fit spacers or junk it,
            just hope the bloke got home ok, i have visions of oil, CV's and shafts on the motorway

Comment

The diff hit the exhaust?
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hello, thanks again for yesterday Popeye, sorry it turned out to be such a sod! I got home fine and had no trouble apart from the camber being well out and the toe in angles making the tyres squeak round bends and bumps... As for the diff drop spacers, there's no way they'll go in without moving the exhaust 2 or 3 inches. Suppose i'll have to get manual hubs instead. I'll get the loose cvs looked at and the alignment sorted before driving it again as it's not my main drive. Thanks again for that pal, i'll let you know how it all goes...

Oh and Dieselboy, lowering the diff made the propshaft lower, which in turn came into contact with the exhaust, so we binned that idea.

Comment

Don i have a set of free wheeling hubs on my own truck that i am breaking now if your interested

Comment

Youe welcome Lee, anytime, just sorry we couldn't get more done, plus my heath robinson jacking apperatus was the final pi$$er, grab those hubs off Rich asap mate, even if you do lower the diff later they are handy

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      Don i have a set of free wheeling hubs on my own truck that i am breaking now if your interested

Yes mate, what you wanting for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
                        Yes mate, what you wanting for them?
                        £80 delivered for you Don.I think they are nearly £150 new

Comment

Ok mate, any chance of chucking in a flexi tube for the airfilter housing lid?

Comment

I haven't got a 3.0l flexi pipe but i have got a silicon hose which is the better pipe for the air filter box.They are about £25 delivered from roughtrax so make me an offer for this one.I normally sell them for £12 delivered but as your having the hubs you can make an offer on it

Comment

Ok mate, 85 quid all in? Can pay on tuesday. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X