Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio controlled

someone on here is bound to be able to help me - my bet is on Tony

my lad, Gareth, is interested in getting a radio controlled truck - can anyone advise what is needed, price and pitfalls etc

cheers
    Dave

Two main types, Petrol and Battery.

I think I'd recomend petrol.
    I have a battery one and the cells last less than 15 minutes.
    This means it's a bugger to take em to the beach or someting without having to keep recharging them from the cigarette lighter or spare car battery.
    Plus you need loads of batteries otheriwse you spend most your time waiting for the charger to finish.

If I was to get a new one, it would be petrol.
    (actualy it's not petrol, it's a sort of petrol/something else mix)

You're probably looking at £200-300 for a decent setup.

Take a wander down you local modelshop.
    Also, when you buy it, buy some spares too.

Plastic wheel mountings, drive shafts, tracking rod ends, bumper.
    There's lots of bots that can and will break, I think it's designed so a plastic clip snaps so the suspension does not.
    But if you have the spares it saves you having to make a trip back.
    I'm guessing the petrol ones will be tougher than the battery ones, but they will go faster and have more weight for snapping bits.

Comment

Yep

I splashed out and bought a nitro car a few weeks ago, (for my boy of course ) they are great fun to play with!!
      The fuel ones are a lot faster and unless you have a lot of open space, you will def have crashes, which means you will need spares but they are fairly cheap.
      Depends on what you want to do with it, if its for fun I would suggest a 4X4 as they can be run round most anywhere, the cars will only work on the road in a lot of cases.
      if you go to a model shop they will be able to advise you. Problem with model shops is they tend to be expensive, may be better buying one online.
      [b]Ask a stupid question, someone else is thinking

Comment

I Used to race IC (petrol) and battery cars a few years ago. What you need to consider is how old is your boy, petrol (as they get called) are fast my 4x4 one would top 60+ mph and accelerate to it quicker than any road car. So if its his first time at using one then even a standard kit form car straight from the box will still be fast (very fast) and if he's not used to it, accidents will happen and at that speed there will be breakages.
        Battery cars can still hit 40+mph but thats tuned and tweaked, out of the box most will be around the 15mph mark.
        So lower speeds will result in less damage, also if he can't control it at high speed then he will lose intrest in it.
        Petrol cars do not like being driven slow, they need to stretch their legs so its no good him driving it around at half speed, they also do not have a reverse facility, reverse being favoured for the braking system. Battery cars do have reverse on them (well most unless they have been converted) so if he gets into a tight spot he can revers out, with no reverse its a long walk to get it.
        So yes petrol you can have longer fun, but must rest the engine every so often to cool down. Battery are more controlable but as said you need at least three battteries to have some good fun, with a good charger you can charge them in 20 mins or so. With batteries you must remember to cycle the batteries (drain completely flat) and recharge unless you get Nimh ones which won't retain a memory.
        I bought my son a petrol car and it was a mistake, he got fed up with it as he couldn't control it properly. So got him a battery one and it was much better for him, once he got used to the battery one he then swapped to the petrol one he ended up racing them as well.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

RE Bruce's comment about buying online - anyone know any good online stores for this stuff then?

I've been 'toying' (OK, that was poor!) with the idea of one for a while now, but haven't seen anything particularly good. I fancy a 4x4 or some sort of buggy for fields, beach etc.

I also fancy a plane, but I'm sure that will end in destruction.
          Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

If you want a plane look on firebox.com.

They do quite a few easy to comtrol glider type planes.

I think one is battery powered to get airborne, then when the power runs out you can still glide it around.

Might be a bit cheaper than an 8ft wingspan spitfire.

Comment

cheers guys - Gareth has just turned 12, I thing a battery car will be best by the look of it. of course he wants a truck type - nearest thing he'll get to driving a surf for a few years!
              Dave

Comment

If you want to keep it simple you could go for something like an associated RC10T3 Ready-to-run. Its a 2wd truck/buggy that comes fully built, all you supply is batteries and charger.
                Have a look here for this one.

Personally I would reccomend a Yokomo MR4-BC. It comes in a kit form so you have to build it from scratch. (best part about it I think)
                Then you have to get all the gubbins that go with. Radio gear, speed controller, Motor, batteries, charger.
                Click here. . This one is one of the higher specced ones, a basic MR4-BC kit brand new should be no more than £120. You should get everything you need for under £300.

I picked up an MR4 off ebay with everything for £80. needed a few bits and bobs though.
                Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

many thanks guys - I knew I could rely on the forum to help.

Big thanks to Koi - for helping my lad spend my money!!!!!
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Draig
                    many thanks guys - I knew I could rely on the forum to help.

Big thanks to Koi - for helping my lad spend my money!!!!!

Gareth's a big excuse for you to have a play with the toy, I know I have been there and done it, great fun.
                    Hope Gareth gets to enjoy it as well at some point.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                      Gareth's a big excuse for you to have a play with the toy, I know I have been there and done it, great fun.
                      Hope Gareth gets to enjoy it as well at some point.
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X