Is this normal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal???

bought surf in august '09, she drives happily (between breakdowns)

when coming onto the motorway she'd kick into overdrive around 53mph

then by mistake i had a vac hose disconnected from boost gauge (after market gauge), drove round about an hour like that when i noticed no turbo.....

now since re-connected truck feels a lot nippier and now Lock up kicks in about 45mph.....

is this good or bad, or do i just flog the beast and buy a newer one????
    Last edited by BigBobE; 14 April 2010, 21:17.

the speed mine hits overdrive is approx 55 mph... not sure what you mean by hose of vacuum gauge... where does this hose run to and from where..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
      the speed mine hits overdrive is approx 55 mph... not sure what you mean by hose of vacuum gauge... where does this hose run to and from where..
      you have a hose to the boost gauge from engine

Comment

I don't have a boost gauge... 2nd gen 3.0 litre TD, is your an aftermarket gauge

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Yep, mine kicks in around the 55mph mark.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Are you sure you're going into overdrive ?

My Surf goes into lockup at 55mph ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I am confused,What do you mean by kicking in to o/d??Is it not just changing into 4th gear at 55mph and with o/d off it doesnt change up to 4th gear

Comment

yeah mine used to kick into top gear at 55 now its about 45mph???

Comment

About 55 with standard wheels, will indicate a bit lower on the speedo with bigger tyres.
                  I thought the lockup was ECU initiated? from the speed sensor.
                  Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by noobysurfer View Post
                    I am confused,What do you mean by kicking in to o/d??Is it not just changing into 4th gear at 55mph and with o/d off it doesnt change up to 4th gear
                    Lockup is what you feel when you hit about 55mph. The engine and drive become locked together so that there is no lost torque.
                    You will notice that the engine revs maintain speed changes with the trucks speed even when you are not using any accellerator. You can cruise with less RPM this way, compared to say if you were trying to stay at 45mph where revs will be higher and will drop to almost idle when you remove the accellerator.

It's not exactly the same as when you reach 88mph. Thats a completely different process.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up!:-)

Comment

And for added clarity - driving in lockup is generally far more fuel efficient !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                        X