Starter refurbished but not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter refurbished but not starting

Wonder if anyone can help. I have replaced the starter contacts as per instruction and now I only get the "click" sound but the starter is not turning. I have checked battery (tried jump leads too) and really have no idea what is going on.
    Before replacing contacts the starter was turning as soon as you put the key in but didnt turn enough to start the engine. Also the starter is quite oily from the outside, but inside seemed ok.
    I dont want to take the thing out again if I can avoid it. Any ideas what can cause this?

Assuming you bench tested the starter before you re-fitted it, prime suspects would be dodgy earths or flat batteries.

But without actually hearing the noise the starter makes, it's not an easy fault to diagnose.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Assuming you bench tested the starter before you re-fitted it, prime suspects would be dodgy earths or flat batteries.

But without actually hearing the noise the starter makes, it's not an easy fault to diagnose.
      Thanks Albannach,

I will check the earths later. I didnt do the bench test - just reading about what it is - sorry its the first time I did this.

The sound is very crisp and clear. It is nearly instant when you turn the key - one click. Then nothing
      Last edited by chestykoff; 9 April 2010, 12:24.

Comment

Originally posted by chestykoff View Post
        Thanks Albannach,

I will check the earths later. I am not sure what you mean by "bench test" - sorry.

The sound is very crisp and clear. It is nearly instant when you turn the key - one click. Then nothing
        Bench testing, in this case, is running the starter before you re-fit it to the truck.

Comment

try starting it in neutral
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by chestykoff View Post
            I didnt do the bench test - just reading about what it is - sorry its the first time I did this.
            Oh dear!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Bench testing, in this case, is running the starter before you re-fit it to the truck.
              Thanks, I will do this if else fails.

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                try starting it in neutral
                No difference. I have also tried rocking in in gear to no effect.

Comment

The ####### is running now! Many thanks Albannach it was the earth!
                  Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X