2nd Gen drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
    Thanks this worked great. I gave it two yanks and on the second one the handbrake was brand new. Cheers!
    It's still good practice to properly adjust the brakes though.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Well I had a go. I got under the truck, found the grommit and pull it off. Stuck a screw driver in and thought "what the hell am I supposed to be doing".

It was dark in there.

But if they're self adjusting, then pulling the handbrake to adjust them would only do the same as manually adjusting them any way right? The adjustment lever would skip a tooth on the screw and as the brake moved it would unscrew to adjust.
      Thats what I made of them any way.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

yeah, if you're not sure what you're doing, wind the adjusters in with the drums off and make sure they are free, then fit the drums and just keep pulling the handbrake till the drums stop clicking, then they are right, you can overtighten the shoes if you do it manually and the shoes might drag on drums.

as long as you've made sure the adjusters arn't siezed up, they will be fine.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Like Tony said, if you don't know what you're doing, use the handbrake to adjust them. I was only saying that it's 'best practice' to adjust them manually.

But if they're self adjusting, then pulling the handbrake to adjust them would only do the same as manually adjusting them any way right?
          No, but it's close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            yeah, if you're not sure what you're doing, wind the adjusters in with the drums off and make sure they are free, then fit the drums and just keep pulling the handbrake till the drums stop clicking, then they are right, you can overtighten the shoes if you do it manually and the shoes might drag on drums.

as long as you've made sure the adjusters arn't siezed up, they will be fine.

I assumed that at post #1.

Comment

Okay all take the pi55

I did them in the end!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I did them in the end!
                Kind of.

Comment

Just make sure you keep to the English side of the Severn bridge.

Comment

I used to work in Wales. I was considering moving to Essex!
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I used to work in Wales. I was considering moving to Essex!
                      Have you got a white XR3i cabrio?

Comment

Noo, I live far enough away that sort of thing is not mandatory.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X