2nd Gen drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen drums

I've ordered some new drums as apparently mine must be warped. Is it worth painting these before fitting them? I expect they will go rusty in time, and want to stop that showing.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Unless you paint and clean them often, I wouldn't bother. But then I can't be arsed with this shiny stuff.

Out of curiosity, why must your drums be out of round?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
      I'm changing them because I have a vibration when I brake that does not come through the steering. The faster the car is going and the harder I brake the more intense the vibration. I've been told it may be warped drums. I've replaced the rear shoes and the vibration worstened but my handbrake works now! I think someone drove around one day with the handbrake on
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
        Thanks for the advice.
        I'm changing them because I have a vibration when I brake that does not come through the steering. The faster the car is going and the harder I brake the more intense the vibration. I've been told it may be warped drums. I've replaced the rear shoes and the vibration worstened but my handbrake works now! I think someone drove around one day with the handbrake on
        Highly unusual for drums to warp unless subjected to an extended amount of a very high temperature. I would not rush into buying new ones & get them checked first. A simple job for a properly equipped garage.
        Alternatively, replace with used or get existing ones skimmed. (All a question of cost of course.) Are the brake cylinders operating properly?
        It could be an axle problem at worst.

It doesn't hurt to add a little protection by painting them either. Just make sure you use high temp paint obviously or you'll have to paint them more often. Depends on how much effort you want to put in to look after your vehicle properly.

Comment

That's what I was thinking but two separate garages said it's most likely my drums so I took their word.
          Do you know where or what on the axle could cause a vibration under braking like that?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

That's what I was thinking but two separate garages said it's most likely my drums so I took their word.
            Do you know where or what on the axle could cause a vibration under braking like that?
            TonyN or Stormforce & some others on here are far better qualified than me to give this kind of advice on the Surf. My past experience of such problems were on much older cars like '60's '70's & '80's Fords Datsuns etc. Predominantly bearings bushes & brake cylinders etc on those.

I'm still learning & wouldn't want to steer you wrong!
            Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 7 April 2010, 22:34.

Comment

I've ordered some new drums as apparently mine must be warped. Is it worth painting these before fitting them? I expect they will go rusty in time, and want to stop that showing.
              Rather than them being warped have they perhaps gone "egg shaped"? I had this problem on an old (high mileage) motorbike I had many years ago. I had the drum skimmed on a lathe & all was well again. Might be a cheaper option than new drums?

The more important thing would be to sort out why the drums have gone oval (or warped if that is the case) and make sure it doesn't happen again. With my old bike I seem to recall that the brake had seized on slightly and the hottest part of the inside of the drum had crumbled slightly, but I could be wrong about that cos it was 15+ years ago.

And listen to the experienced folk in here (you'll no doubt already realise who they are - hint: not me! I'm just throwing my tuppence worth in!) cos they are full of absolutely cracking advice.
              Last edited by Rustinho; 7 April 2010, 22:59.

Comment

Sounds like the prop shaft to me, but what would I know.

Comment

I think someone drove around one day with the handbrake on
                  Did you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Did you do that?
                    No. I blame mum but I'm wrong . It's easily done though, the first time I drove a surf I didn't even know where the hand brake was!

Originally posted by Sancho
                    Sounds like the prop shaft to me, but what would I know.
                    Prop shaft symptoms I think, are a vibration that increases / worstens as your speed increases. You can't drive through it and the whole car feels like it's about to fall apart.. so I understand.. (could be wrong)

My vibration is only under braking. The lighter I touch the brakes, the lighter the vibration. I can brake without even feeling it if I use them very lightly.

I read on this site the other day I could get them machined.
                    I've already bought them though. Machining sounds like hassle too.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Did you do that?
                      No. I blame mum but I'm wrong . It's easily done though, the first time I drove a surf I didn't even know where the hand brake was!
                      Did your mum do it then?

If someone has and they did overheated the drum, it will have gone out of round when it cooled down.

Comment

Thats what I suspect. I never really use the handbrake unless I'm on a steep hill.

A test that I havent done is if I drove down the road and pull out the hand brake. If I felt a vibration then it would be the drums for certain.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

A test that I havent done is if I drove down the road and pull out the hand brake. If I felt a vibration then it would be the drums for certain.
                          Aye, probably. But you'll have your new ones soon anyway, so this diagnostic chit-chat is a bit of a waste of time?

Comment

Aye, probably. But you'll have your new ones soon anyway, so this diagnostic chit-chat is a bit of a waste of time?
                            not if his new drums dont solve the problem
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

so this diagnostic chit-chat is a bit of a waste of time?
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X