what do i do now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i do now

Hi folks,bit of trouble here,ill try and put it all down in words but think ill be here for ever.

brought my 93 2.4 surf on 20th may,on test drive noticed a few faults,told by dealer they be sorted on collection.

these were,radio expander,air con broke,no rear wiper,also told a full service be done,full mot and full valet.

When picked up only rear wiper done,held back £450 until items done.

During the next week found few more problems,steering iderler very badly worn,n/s/f wheel bearing gone,exhaust welded and patched,anti roll bar not fixed on at all,and worst of all NO 4X4.

Surprise surprise the dealer now not answering my calls,have written him 2 letters,on speaking to trading standards they say i can return car,but how if he not talk to me.

In hindsight i should have not taken car but ive just come out of hospital after 7 months, on crutches and i needed car to get around,my other 2 cars arnt auto

so my friends,any ideas,what would you all do,i feel pretty useless on these !!!!!! sticks and need some help

the dealer is COUNTY CARS in essex so you all know to stay away ,

thanks guys

There comes a point when buying a car that you have to trust the dealer.
    If the dealer says that the he'sdone a service you expect him to have, if he says that everything works you expect him to have checked.
    So I don't think you've acted rashly, I think you've been conned.

I don't think I checked the 4x4 on mine when I bought it, or the air con, I relied on the dealer being honest - and it's turned out to be a great truck.

Get trading standards involved.
    Tell the dealer you want to return the car and get a full refund.

Hopefully a bit of threatening from Trading standards, or from a lawyer will get him to take it back and make the whole matter go away.

Then take your cash and go somewhere else.

Comment

Im sure the local press would like to know ( slander ok but bad press is worse ) can be done on the Q T with a couple of calls !
      Maybe just the THREAT of it would work, worth a try as a friend of mine done it and got no more Ansa Machines and his money back.

GOOD LUCK
      3RD GEN 3.0TD 1996 SSR-X BLUE OVER SILVER

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Surfer
        Im sure the local press would like to know ( slander ok but bad press is worse ) can be done on the Q T with a couple of calls !
        Maybe just the THREAT of it would work, worth a try as a friend of mine done it and got no more Ansa Machines and his money back.

GOOD LUCK
        I think I would also report the mot station for passing a dud car.
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

My surf came from them but thats not where i bought it from!! dont know much about that dealers. What i do know is that going to see the MOT tester will get you results, if they passed it with major faults it could cost them their licence, if you get no joy with the dealer phone the MOT station and tell them your concerns then they will probably lean on the dealer to sort it!!!!!
          Many cars in the trade get MOT'd without even seeing the MOT tester, they are quite often written out on the word of the trader that the car is ok.
          I used to work quite closely with motor trade, send me a PM if you need a bit of help!!
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Take your Surf to the nearest VOSA heavy goods testing station. Ask to speak to a Vehicle Examiner with the Road Transport Enforcement Division. Tell him your tale and let him inspect the vehicle. It is an offence to sell or even offer for sale a vehicle with defective parts. I am sure he will also be interested in the dodgy MOT. Tell the Dealer what you intend to do and If you are getting nowhere, fight dirty do it.
            Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

And if all else fails, write out a BIG notice detailing all the facts (no lies) and they go park the Surf outside his dealership and let all the potential customers know what a cowboy he is. That should get you some instant action. But still do what all the other replies suggest as well. People like that need to be put out of business.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                And if all else fails, write out a BIG notice detailing all the facts (no lies) and they go park the Surf outside his dealership and let all the potential customers know what a cowboy he is. That should get you some instant action. But still do what all the other replies suggest as well. People like that need to be put out of business.

For starters name him on here so others stay away, then like others have said take some action, tradng standards, solicitors letter, park across his forecourt with all the faults listed etc.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Thanks folks for yuor help.

Surfs in for a MOT this morning so my solicitor knows whats wrong with it

ill keep you posted

Comment

its nice to see everyone is so reasonable to this scum bag. My response would be to hobble round on your crutch, then crack him in the head with it!!! That'll learn em!!

Comment

Originally posted by blacksurf
                      its nice to see everyone is so reasonable to this scum bag. My response would be to hobble round on your crutch, then crack him in the head with it!!! That'll learn em!!
                      The Head ??

Surely your aim is too high ?
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Well,surprise,surprise,it failed its MOT on all the things id listed.

Although the missing anti roll bar bushes and headlight pointing up at 45" I had to point out to them,makes you worried about the state of the UKs mot testers.

Now ive a list ive a meeting at 10am tomorrow with my lawyer bod,this is getting exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelrepairit
                          Well,surprise,surprise,it failed its MOT on all the things id listed.

Although the missing anti roll bar bushes and headlight pointing up at 45" I had to point out to them,makes you worried about the state of the UKs mot testers.

Now ive a list ive a meeting at 10am tomorrow with my lawyer bod,this is getting exciting

better than coronender farm, keep us informed
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Dont forget to take the original MOT to the appropriate Authorities. I am sure pressure on the offending gararge from VOSA will also concentrate the mind.

Best of luck

If you are not sure of procedures for a retrospective test PM me
                            Malcolm
                            Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

OK ,Lawyer bod seen and letter is on its way,but ive amongest other things to find out costings to get surf fixed so we can give quotes to him(scum)

Have got most things priced but anybody know where i can get 2 chrome rear corner bumpers and how much,rather then replace them like he said he would he filled and painted them,paint already coming off.Ive no idea where to even start looking for these.

Also i know the 4x4 fault could be many things but is there a common fault to look for,could it just be a relay or fuse,where do i look before i price to have gearboxes messed about with.

Thanks friends,your help has been great so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X