Speed Sensor for 3lt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Sensor for 3lt

Was hoping if any member knows where to pick up one of these without going to Toyota. They're quoting £187 for the sensor. I put a add in the wanted section, but so far, no luck. So is there anywhere else, somewhere can obtain one of these. 2nd hand or a copy of one. Also, can I use one from a different model from my own '96 3.0lt. Any good advice, much appreicated.
    www.grovegarage.co.uk

Hi just out of interest how do you know you need one?
    Have you tried looking in the parts 4 sale section? There are always people breaking surfs. You may have some luck with Stormforce or lord_lucan
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The speedo is doing stupid things, like dropping to zero when doing for example 40 mph or 50 then shoots across to 180mph, stuff like that. On the way home tonight from work, the speedo shot up to 180 mph and stayed there for about 10 seconds and the kilometers just started spinning up.
      Also now, when the speedo plays up, the gears wont drop with the decrease in speed if I am stopping at say red lights. So when I take off I am in the last gear selected before the speedo goes whacko. When the speedo is operating okay for periods the gearbox is fine, so I don't think there's a problem there.

I tried Stormforce & Lucan, but no joy, thats why I was asking can you swap with different models cos LL has one of 2.4(?) but he doesn't know if I can fit it to a 3.0lt.

Sorry for the long post.
      www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Thats an odd one! Are you sure you really wasn't doing 180?
        I remember reading that there were two speed sensors on the surf? I may be wrong. But I'm sure I read it on here.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yea, there are or even 3 if you believe the parts man at toyota. Think I've identified the one I need, which just happens to be the dearest, hence the request for help. If I don't get it soon, I'll just have to cough up the full amount.
          www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

83181-12020 is the part number if you want to check they quoted price for the right one.

Nev

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Speed-Sensor-...mZ330393134348

Nev

Comment

Hi Murph

I had a similar problem with my speedo but it didn't effect the gearbox. What i did was to remove the sensor from the rear of the gearbox and carefully took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together and hey presto its been working no problems since. That was about a year ago now so it might be worth a try.

Will save you a bit of money that way.

Paul
                1993 SSR-G 3.0TD KZN130

Comment

Thanks Nifty Nev & Cooperman for your help.

I did plan on ripping it out & having a look at it today, but its flogging atm. Bad enough working in the rain without doing it on a day off. I should be use to it by now.

That looks like the part I need Nifty, certainly the same part number that Toyota gave me.

Think what I'll do is what Cooperman said to do & maybe look at the circut board behind the speedo clock for good measure as well, if that don't work maybe purchase that one from the states.

just want this rain to stop cos I can only do this outside. And the forecast ain't great for the next few days. Talk about when it rains................
                  www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

If its any help to anyone. Two sensors on the gearbox. Part # 83181A that sits on the outside of the gearbox & the other part# 89411C which sits on the inside of the gearbox.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by murph; 3 April 2010, 17:50.
                    www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X