Newbie Question - Gen 2 Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - Gen 2 Tyres

Hi, appologies to those of you who have heard this question a million times over! I have just purchased a 1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD. To say the vehicle has been neglected by it's previous owner would be an understatement - The Surf is currently shod with no less than 3 different tyre sizes! 265x70x15, 31x10.5x15 & 10x15. The best information that I have been able to find so far is that the 265x70x15's were factory standard fitment & the 31x10.5x15's were factory optional fitment? Could anyone please explain the difference between the two sizes and tell me which is the correct size to go for as I set about replacing the tyres on my Surf? The wheels are standard Surf alloys (well 3 of them are anyway!) All information will be very greatly appreciated!

Paul, Banbury, Oxfordshire

265x70x15 equates to 29.6", so if you have 31" tyres on the other wheels not only is it extremely dangerous it's also illegal.

If you don't have a lift I would stick with stock tyres at 29.6", if you're planning a 2" suspension lift the go for 31" tyres, although they will fit standard height at a push. But make it soon mate, with the tyres you have on at the moment it's an accident waiting to happen.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 23 March 2010, 19:47.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

31's will go on without the lift, it's 33's that need about 4" lift

Comment

keep with the 31's as they look better and seem to fill the arches better
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hiya paul i have a 2nd gen and in ban too i have 30 9.50 15 dunno if their the standard size but seems good enough off road at dasset the other weekend, u got the blue and was out polishin it the other day?? or is it the red ssrx i see twice today?
          need more power! ;-)

Comment

If ya pushed for cash .... n need to what a while !!
            Just make sure ya got "2" the same size tyres on the same axle n not mixed !!
            Good Luck

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long term"
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

31-10.50-15s are perfect mate .you dont need a lift

Comment

Well that's sorted then - I think I will be sticking with the 31" tyres. Many thanks to those of you who have offered advice! The next planned modification is to get some decent driving lamps fitted, as all the original auxiliary lamps and mounting bar are missing from my Surf.

Mine's the Blue SSRX by the way (YRP - minus all of it's side decals) I have spotted 2 red ones in Banbury (I know that the one with the fancy Aussie Roo Bar (BOM) is owned by one of the Polish lads) The other I spotted at the lights by the police station last weekend, but I didn't have time to take much notice. Next time you see me with my head under the bonnet - feel free to stop and take a look - she's not a pretty sight at the moment but with a little bit of elbow grease I think I've got a pretty decent motor!

Shep,

Comment

ur surf

just been trawling the net and think i have just found a nice foto of ur truck but i might be wrong tho lol

http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php?topic=46067

yeah mine's the other red one with the black windows and a bar (dur)
                  need more power! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by insanedrifter82 View Post
                    just been trawling the net and think i have just found a nice foto of ur truck but i might be wrong tho lol

http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php?topic=46067

yeah mine's the other red one with the black windows and a bar (dur)
                    I take it you meen this one:
                    it looks a proper beast

Comment

Originally posted by garry View Post
                      I take it you meen this one:
                      it looks a proper beast

yeah summit like that the smaller of the 2, is shep's i think bein a new surfer round these parts lol
                      need more power! ;-)

Comment

Nope - Mines L533 YRP, but it is very similar though. Mine is now sporting a pair of Hella 3000 compact driving lamps mounted on a home made light bar. I had to change the front number plate to a square one to get the lamps in. All forward facing bulbs have also been changed for the xenon filled 5000k type (all e marked and road legal) I didn't realize what a pig of a job it is to get to the headlamp bulbs! I've taken two of the wheels fitted with the worst tyres, stripped & cleaned them and sent them of for a refurb. When they get back they will be fitted with a nice new pair of 31x10.5x15's (probably Yokohamas) All four tyres should be the same size then!
                        Anyone got any good ideas on how to stop the spare wheel carrier rattling?

Shep,

Comment

try this it's not a propper fix but might help in the mean time

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...+bushes#120013
                          need more power! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X